We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are you allowed to visit other resorts?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Are you allowed to visit other resorts?

If one would like to visit another resort or AI, is something you can do or is there a fee for this?

We are staying at the Hyatt Ziva but also want to visit the Moon Palace.

Can this done ?

Thanks !

23 replies to this topic
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,560 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are you allowed to visit other resorts?

The only way you can visit another [all inclusive] resort is to buy a day (or night) pass. These are subject to availability and may be quite spendy - at least US$80 per person and it goes up from there.

Given the cost of day passes, it sometimes makes more sense to actually STAY at that alternate resort for a night or two.

Edited: 2:21 pm, December 07, 2017
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are you allowed to visit other resorts?

Why would they if they’re not in the same chain? Some hotels like Secrets allow you to experience dinner and drinks at other hotels in the Secrets brand but those not affiliated won’t. You’ll have to pay for a day pass.

PA
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are you allowed to visit other resorts?

Another way to visit is if you know a guest staying there..If they invite u, I see no problem...Hard to do if u know no one..

Rouyn-Noranda...
Level Contributor
758 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are you allowed to visit other resorts?

Even if you have a friend staying at another resort, you won't be able to enter without a pass.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are you allowed to visit other resorts?

Yeah you’ll still need a pass if it’s a decent hotel. You can’t just go in and use amenities, you won’t get past the gate.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are you allowed to visit other resorts?

We just wanted to walk around the Hard Rock but we could not. They wanted ID, which I would not do, esp in Cancun. There is not need to show anyone except Customs and the hotel we stay at our passports/etc. Don't understand because you have to have a wrist band to get served drinks/food. I think its kinda dumb on their part because not we would never stay there. We always walk around the JW and have had dinner there.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,995 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are you allowed to visit other resorts?

People don't even know what Customs is, you don't show ID to "customs".

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are you allowed to visit other resorts?

We never stay at an AI but a few times while driving around the Tulum-Akumal area, we were able to drive into a few AI's just to check them out. We just politely asked the guard if we could drive in to see what it looked like, they always let us go in. Of course you could always enter from along the beach. One time we were bicycling near an AI in Puerto Morelos, and my wife's bike chain came off while we were biking past an AI. The guard (in his white uniform) came over and helped us put the chain back on.

Chicago
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are you allowed to visit other resorts?

Thanks everyone!

Sucks that you might need a day pass.

Wasn't aware of that.

If a pass is needed, how would I go about getting one?

Just show up to the hotel and ask for one?

To Dougdnh -

I guess in all honesty, it's really the beach I want to see.

Have no desire to actually see the resort.

Now I have to find a way onto the beach.

Will it be a problem to get into a resorts beach area?

Thanks.

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Are you allowed to visit other resorts?

If you don't want to buy a day pass, then go visit a non-AI hotel like one of the two Marriotts, you can see the beach and even buy a drink or food.

Reply to: Are you allowed to visit other resorts?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted