We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cartel Beach Wars - Covered in YouTube Documentary

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Cartel Beach Wars - Covered in YouTube Documentary

This is a duplicate post as I meant to put tin the Cancun forum

I am planning a trip to the region and have been doing the usual research on the assorted forums and see the recent upswing in violence. Came across this video from YouTube "Unreported World" It is graphic and emotional at times but is a real eye opener. Nothing sensationalized.

This link is to a recent reporting from November on violence in the region. The Acapulco portion sheds light on the TAXI driver situation.

Apparently extortion is rampant.

Sure - the US is violent too. I get that - but the face of Cancun and region is changing. If this has already been posted my apologies for the repetition.

It was filmed before most recent killing on the beach between ERC and Dreams or the shoot out between the "cigar" vendors on the beach and other violence in Puerto Moreles. Hard to keep track,

https://youtu.be/Rz6t2FEablA

18 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,799 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cartel Beach Wars - Covered in YouTube Documentary

Thanks for posting. I know many on the Forum prefer to see it through the Rose Colored Glasses but it is an increasingly dangerous place. And of course someone will try to compare it to violence in Chicago and really no comparison. Few of us spend vacation money to go to Chicago.

As I posted another thread, this past weekend was one of Cancun's deadliest with 13 violent murders. I really hope they can get things under control before it becomes another Acapulco.

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cartel Beach Wars - Covered in YouTube Documentary

It sure isn't a pleasant thing to post but visitors to the region need to be enlightened.

I sure hope doesn't get deleted. I came across it randomly and have to admit I was totally ignorant of the situation in Acapulco.

13 murders last week?

According to this video there were well over 100+ Taxi driver's killed in Acapulco in the last year!

You are right Robert. It has to get under control. I feel for the locals and what they have to face daily.

New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cartel Beach Wars - Covered in YouTube Documentary

I'm surprised how the media is keeping this violence so quiet. It is not the Cancun that it once was which is why there is so much police presence. Unfortunately it is not helping with the number of people being killed.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cartel Beach Wars - Covered in YouTube Documentary

Thanks for the video. The situation is really sad.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,288 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cartel Beach Wars - Covered in YouTube Documentary

Some years ago Acapulco was a hot vacation destination. I do not know when it changed or how issues raised in that video contributed to a decline.

I hope that Cancun and other local areas do not go down a similar path.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,799 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cartel Beach Wars - Covered in YouTube Documentary

I think most of us know that Acapulco was once a hot vacation destination. I've even read that government officials say they need to head off the same happening to Cancun.

As far as it being kept quiet in the press, it really is not if you need the local Spanish language newspapers. But the tourist industry hopes you do not,

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cartel Beach Wars - Covered in YouTube Documentary

Heart breaking to see the families affected by this. Thanks for posting.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
80 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cartel Beach Wars - Covered in YouTube Documentary

I saw this video a couple of days ago and I'm quite concerned. We are booked for 7 nights at Live Aqua in mid April next year and now I'm not so sure I want to go. Very sad to know what's happening in this beautiful place.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,805 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cartel Beach Wars - Covered in YouTube Documentary

I did not know Acapulco was so bad!!! No tourism at all!!!!

Thx for sharing.

Hopefully, they will get a grip on the on the cartels in Cancun

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cartel Beach Wars - Covered in YouTube Documentary

No foreign tourism at all. (well, almost)

Aca is still quite busy. It's just that the tourists are Mexicans

A United Airlines regional jet on Wednesdays and Saturdays only in the winter (Saturdays only most of the year) is the extent of the direct flights between ACA and the US.

Reply to: Cartel Beach Wars - Covered in YouTube Documentary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted