We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolerance Zone??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Nova Scotia
12 posts
Save Topic
Tolerance Zone??

Looking for info on the tolerance zone and wondering if it's worth the visit???

West Seneca, New...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tolerance Zone??

Never heard of.. What is it?

West Seneca, New...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tolerance Zone??

Gotcha! Just googled it. Nah better in Canada everytime I've gone. The famous Canadian Ballet!!

Nova Scotia
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tolerance Zone??

It's a bunch of "adult clubs" that allows far more than the rest of Cancun. Sounds like a great time but it's expensive i think.

manchester
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tolerance Zone??

sad

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tolerance Zone??

If memory serves me correctly, Plaza 21 is located at KM 21 on the road to Merida, west of Cancun City and quite a ride from the Hotel zone.

Plaza 21 based on past reports is currently home to about 10 or 20 Houses or Bars of ill repute , in short, shake joints and cat houses. Half of the complex is not in operation currently, not due to any hurricane but competition and lack of business.

The city officials just recently closed down approximately 26 establishments of likely lesser renown in Cancun City itself with plans to move them to the Plaza 21 site aka, Zona de Tolerancia. The city also plans to give Plaza 21 a face lift due to the forced relocation.

For those interested in going, the area is not the laid back party atmosphere of the Hotel Zone in Cancun but a down and dirty den of dope, prostitution and most things illegal. It's not for the faint of heart or the curious by any means and it's definitely not for the typical Cancun Tourist.

Take a nod here and you'll wake up broke and with your shoes missing if not worse. And, no this isn't anything like the cat houses of Vegas or Reno that are in the gambling meccas tourist areas, not remotely.

If you must go, go in a group, with friends or book with one of the online agencies that caters to adult entertainment. If you go in a taxi, expect the price back to be two to three times the cost to get there.

The only other advice I can give is...

...wear your asbestos underwear, leave your credit cards at home and sew your dollars to your inside pockets. ;-)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tolerance Zone??

Wow! I've never heard of this place...hard to believe something so rugged would be in Cancun :-/

Nova Scotia
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tolerance Zone??

Thanks for all the info Dangers!! We'll take all your advice to heart.

8. Re: Tolerance Zone??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 29, 2009