We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Usd vs Cad vs peso? which is is preferred

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Usd vs Cad vs peso? which is is preferred

Hello,

We will be staying in an all inclusive hotel. In terms of tips, what is the appropriate amount for sit down dinner since there is not a "price" for the meal.

Also, is it better to carry Peso or USD or even..CAD for tips and random things? Thank you!

25 replies to this topic
Kent
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Usd vs Cad vs peso? which is is preferred

pesos is best but we also take USA dollar bills as it's easier to get them than small pesos notes.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Usd vs Cad vs peso? which is is preferred

Pesos is the best way to go, more bang for your buck. If your changing your bills anyway get the local currency no need to have both. Unless you already have a few US dollars hanging around. Try to get lot's of 20's, 50's and 100's . If you end up with a large bill most hotels will break it for you at the front desk,

100 pesos per couple I would say is the average tip for an a la cart sit down dinner, 50 if it's buffet 40 for buffet lunch and 20 to 40 for breakfast.

I usually convert 250 cdn for a week. That is enough for bar tenders maids etc. Cdn bills are for lack of a better term useless to the staff as they will have to kine up at the bank to change them. Vendors are not interested in the Cdn bill as well

Have fun

Edited: 5:58 am, November 11, 2017
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,377 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Usd vs Cad vs peso? which is is preferred

As a Canadian who have been visiting this area for many years,

I get pesos - best currency for tipping and spending outside of resorts

I get 3000-4000 pesos in a mixture of bills at https://www.vbce.ca/

Then use MX bank affiliated ATMs (we stay for 1-3 months at a time)

You lose to much in the exchange to US$ to use in MX - sounds foolish - you are right

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Usd vs Cad vs peso? which is is preferred

Pesos, they really prefer their own currency. It’s not like it used to be where they wanted American money. However; they will take any money you leave and it’s very appreciated. Especially the maids!

Use the calculator on your phone to convert the cost. Makes life so much easier.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Usd vs Cad vs peso? which is is preferred

Hi everyone,

thank you for your input on this! Peso it is! =D

Titusville, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Usd vs Cad vs peso? which is is preferred

I have found that the exchange rate in banks is the most favorable... avoid the airport exchange at all times. Bank of America, if you have at least a savings account, will do O.K. (right now, as I type this, the official exchange is 19.07 pesos to the USD, and BOA will sell them to you for 18.04, STILL better than the 14.95 currently at the CUN Airport). If you plan to return during other times of the year, buy an extra $1-2k worth in December as that's the best rate I've experienced thus far... Last Dec, it hit 22+ but this past April it was in the 17's and 18's. I used Banco Azteca in Piste last April and got the best rate there during my 10-day stay.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Usd vs Cad vs peso? which is is preferred

So Im leaving for Cancun on Saturday... Where would be the best place to get pesos before I leave? I have a checking account with Citi and CC with all other banks as well..

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Usd vs Cad vs peso? which is is preferred

Get pesos from the ATMs in Mexico.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Usd vs Cad vs peso? which is is preferred

Best exchange rates can be found at Payday Money cheque cashing stores before leaving Canada. We live in a very small community (Penticton, BC) so we go to our local store and arrange to pick up MX $ in Kelowna or Vancouver. Have a fabulous time!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,991 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Usd vs Cad vs peso? which is is preferred

Pesos is what is preferred.

Reply to: Usd vs Cad vs peso? which is is preferred
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted