We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Tajin

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
usa
1 post
Save Topic
El Tajin

What is the best way to get to El Tajin from Veracruz? How far is it? I don't want to drive for fours to get there if there is a bus or a tour I can arrange.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

veracruz, mexico
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: El Tajin

bus tours available.. bus takes around 3 1/2 hrs to travel from Veracruz to El Tajin..

jonw

SoCal
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Tajin

If you are not adventuresome enough to drive yourself, I agree on the bus tours - Besides the crappy rentals you get at the airport ( our Voyager had a cracked windshield) AND I highly recommend the additional insurance - you avoid the "topes" (speedbumps) and paying for the toll roads. We drove to Monte Gordo ( about 2 hours from Veracruz on Hwy 180 ) and it STILL takes another 1 1/2 -2 hours from there to El Tajin.

BUT - the drive (bus or car) is worth it - the pyramids and the voladores are to a sight to be seen!

US
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Tajin

Could you please tell me more information about EL Tajin?

Where to stay? What to see? How many days needed to see all interesting stuff?

Thanks

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Tajin

I would also like to hear more about El Tajin...has anyone stayed in a hotel near the site?

SoCal
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Tajin

Hello - we were in the area for a family wedding. Part of the weekend's activities was the trip to El Tajin. As I mentioned, by bus it took almost 2 hours from our starting point - Casitas , where the wedding was taking place. The family chartered two buses, so unfortunately I dont have info if they charter from Veracruz, which from Casitas, is about 2 hours. Keep in mind, tou have toolbooths, "topes",( speedbumps ) , and the ever watchful federales to keep your eye on.

We stayed at the Cabo Alto in Monte Gordo http://www.caboalto.com/ which was OK, the beach was beautiful, and for the cost per night (450 pesos) it also included breakfast for 5. A curious lizard was our a daily visitor in the villa, but other than that, it was a place to rest your head on.

Part of the adventure is getting there, but for me, I'm not too keen on taking a bus 4 plus hours from Veracruz, spending on x amount of time at the site, then having to ride all the way back, especially depending on weather and road conditions.

There maybe hotels in Papantla, the city next to the ruins

Be on the lookout - IF you charter, you will most certainly be hounded by many of the locals hawking their wares , once you arrive. If you drive, ditto. There are many stands (puestos) that surround the drive in front of the site entrance. I'd suggest visiting first, and then decide if you want to buy afterwards.

Take plenty of film and extra batteries. You will be asked for an additional donation if you video tape. Trust me , well worth it!

The ruins are beyond description. As our guide told us, they (El Tajin) gets no where near the attention as other sites in Mexico, therefore you avoid the crowds. Arrive early, and spend the day. Besides the museum, there is a snack bar and a few shops, in addition to the puestos outside.

mexperience.com/guide/archaeology/eltajin.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Tajin

The voladores that perform in front of the site entrance should not be missed. The performers usually ask between 10-20 peso donation. I believe there is an upcoming event in March that celebrates the voladores, at an arena on the highway outside the site..

Hope this helps!

SoCal
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Tajin

just to clarify , the cabo alto was 450 pesos per person, per night..

US
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: El Tajin

Thank you very much for info!

And this hotel, Cabo Alto, is it far from El Tajin?

SoCal
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Tajin

2 hours roughly..

9. Re: El Tajin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, August 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Veracruz