We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on Cordoba, Veracruz area

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Miami, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Need advice on Cordoba, Veracruz area

Someone out there help me. We are retired. My husband needs peace and tranquility due to health problems. He does need medical attention at times. Altitude would be aproblem for him. We looked up information on Cordoba, Orizabal area. Miami's weather is too hot for us. Rental housing info would be welcome. We do live on social security and price is an issue for us.Please write and let us know. Silvia

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on Cordoba, Veracruz area

Hello Pilla,

Since you mentioned finances. Have you checked if your monthly income is sufficient to receive a visa to live in Mexico?

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on Cordoba, Veracruz area

Few people are likely to be able to help you beyond offering personal opinions on Cordoba. Lots of people like it, but there aren't many foreigners hanging around from what I know. Adequate health care and health care facilities may be a challenge not easy to overcome. Also take a look at Tlaxcala, Tlaxcala and Toluca, State of Mexico as possible locations. Both cities are milder climates than where you come from (Toluca can be cool and even cold by Miami standards in parts of the Winter) and are very close to the excellent health care facilities/doctors in Mexico City.

Qualification for a resident visa may be a challenge for you. Here's a good place to start reading about the process of moving to Mexico, including information about visas, etc.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on Cordoba, Veracruz area

OOPS!

I forgot to include the website address I think you should have a look at:

www.rollybrook.com/how_to_move_to_mexico.htm

vermont sometimes
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on Cordoba, Veracruz area

there are very few Americans in the area and I know nothing about health care there. My wife and I are going to spend the next 30 days in Fortin de las Flores which is a suburb of Cordoba and quiet, lovely and rents inexpensive. If you want to hear more than you can reach me at gatorperry@hotmail.com good luck, charles

New York
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on Cordoba, Veracruz area

Hi Silvia,

My grandmother lives in Cordoba and i was just there in January 2006. Rents can be very cheap (as low as $70 per month, which is what my grandmother charges her tenant) however goods are starting to come in line with US prices. But you can still get dinner for 2 in the portales for $10.

You mentioned the health of your husband-there is a senior home run by a nun in Cordoba which I visited while in Cordoba. It is immaculate on very pretty grounds and only costs about $300 per month, meals included. You're able to come and go as you please (of course if you are able). There are a couple of relatively young persons living there (60's) whose families live far away and they've chosen to live there as it is safe and tranquil. It's called Emaus and I don't remember the street but it's near a train track.

Cordoba is at a higher elevation but not as high as Mexico City-maybe 3000 feet?

Good luck with your search-

Maria

charlotte,nc
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on Cordoba, Veracruz area

HELLO SILVIA:

My name is Joana, I'm from Cordoba, Veracruz.

I don't really know what are you looking for, but, let me tell you something about my City, is a beautyfull place to live, is not too hot and, there are great people, really frendly, and the food is great, you don't have to worry about the traficc or security, is just a good place to live, and about Orizaba, is not to far from Cordoba, is like 30 min. by highway, or 45 min. if you take the old road, and I really like the old road, because the view is beautyfull, Orizaba is nice but at the same time is kind of borred, and people from Orizaba are not friendly at all, well, I hope you like this post.

Enjoy Cordoba.

JOANA

PS.

If you like you can contact me at joana_zavaleta@yahoo.com

charlotte,nc
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on Cordoba, Veracruz area

HELLO SILVIA:

My name is Joana, I'm from Cordoba, Veracruz.

I don't really know what are you looking for, but, let me tell you something about my City, is a beautyfull place to live, is not too hot and, there are great people, really frendly, and the food is great, you don't have to worry about the traficc or security, is just a good place to live, and about Orizaba, is not to far from Cordoba, is like 30 min. by highway, or 45 min. if you take the old road, and I really like the old road, because the view is beautyfull, Orizaba is nice but at the same time is kind of borred, and people from Orizaba are not friendly at all, well, I hope you like this post.

Enjoy Cordoba.

JOANA

8. Re: Need advice on Cordoba, Veracruz area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:38 am, August 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Veracruz