We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxco's shopping silver center

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
san diego, CA
1 post
Save Topic
taxco's shopping silver center

Hello,

I need help in finding shopping silver center in taxco because I want to start a jewelry business and this is my first trip to taxco. I am also looking for a close-by hotel near the shopping area. What would you recommend?

thank you,

Miriam

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxco's shopping silver center

I know little about the silver business, with the exception of traveling to Taxco on Saturday's for the weekly, larger market that many people attend. My purchases have all been small and for personal use. You're obviously looking for something different.

Taxco is a small city and you might want to just show up and get yourself a hotel in your price range in the historic center, and from that point explore the possibilities available to you. Enter "Taxco" in the search box in the upper left portion of this page and there will be hotel photos, descriptions, etc., which may help you narrow-down your choices.

My guess is that it'll take you more than just one visit to get a lay of the land and to learn which persons you can trust and which you cannot.

I'm assuming that you've already researched the US Customs requirements for bringing in silver for sale into the USA. If not you might want to do that before heading for Taxco so that you minimize any risk of losing your merchandise or having an unexpected duty applied (if any is applicable).

I like the Moon guidebooks book for Mexico, which includes a section on Taxco. The company's Acapulco and Pacific Coast of Mexico guides also have a Taxco section. You might want to pay a visit to your local library or bookstore to have a look at these guides to see if they're worth purchasing, or if you can gather any helpful information from them.

I wish you success with your new business adventure.

Mentioned in this post
Taxco
Taxco
Guerrero, Mexico
United States
United States
North America
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
California
Level Contributor
97 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxco's shopping silver center

Miriam,

once you get to Taxco you will see that your search for silver will be short. Everywhere you turn (in the center of town) there is silver. We were in Taxco the 2nd week of April, stayed at the Monte Taxco. Not a hotel I would recommend... not only is it FAR from town, it is not worth the price. I did go and see the Posada San Javier (for future trave) and I would say this is a better choice. Posada is right in town you can walk to do your shopping and then go back to the room for rest and then go out again for a walk in the evening. Hotel Agua Escondida is also in the center of town, however I did not go and check it out.

if you decide on Posada San Javier make your reservations early...they book up fast.

good luck...wear comfortable shoes...and enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Taxco
Taxco
Guerrero, Mexico
Hotel Agua Escondida
Hotel Agua Escondida
355 Reviews
Taxco, Mexico
Get answers to your questions about Taxco