We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City - Chiapas - Mexico City

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico City - Chiapas - Mexico City

Hi there,

We (group op 6-8, one of them speaking fluent Spanish) planning a trip in april from Mexico City to Chiapas, visit San Cristobal and Palenque and go back.

As we are with 6-8 people i was wondering what would be the cheapest option ( a bit of comfort is required though, even as not losing 12 hours during the day, not at night)?

- Nightbus: any advice on the company? Does negotiating the price works?

- Flight: experience with waiting, prices, company's, etc?

- Rent a car/minibus in Mexico City and do the whole trip by car/minibus. We all have a normal driver's licence.

Thanks for your tips, would be a big help!

Best regards,

Tine

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City - Chiapas - Mexico City

You don't say how long you are traveling. Buses are cheap, frequent, and very nice. A late bus can be a good economical option for a long trip. You can't bargain the price but you don't need to.

A few other questions/comments. Don't sell Mexico City short. It is a world class city. Are you stopping in Oaxaca on the way? It is a wonderful place for a few days and breaks up the long trip.

Mexico City, Mexico
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City - Chiapas - Mexico City

I am visiting san cristobal at the end of the month. I went before this past December and for both trips I booked a flight from Mex City to Tuxtla. I purchased my flights from Volaris, they were about $200 dls. roundtrip. I think its a few pesos difference from going in a bus and is a huge difference in travelling time, only an hour and a half flying!

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico City - Chiapas - Mexico City

Hi Crystal B!

My partner and I are hoping to travel to Palenque to San Cristobal and then from there a flight from Tuxtla to Mexico City. Is it easy getting from San Cristobal to Tuxtla? Does it take long on a bus?

Can any one recommend a good location/hotel for a reasonable price for a young couple (both 27) in San Cristobal and anything of interest?

4. Re: Mexico City - Chiapas - Mexico City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 02, 2015