We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Chiapa Del Corzo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Chiapa Del Corzo

Something isn't totally clear to me, perhaps someone can clarify. It looks as though I can take a colectivo from Tuxtla to Chiapa del Corzo, and arrive in the central plaza. However, there is no colectivo from San Cristobal de las Casas to the plaza area of Chiapa del Corzo. Instead, it drops you outside of town and you must walk, cab, or take another colectivo. Is this correct?

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Chiapa Del Corzo

Thats is true but the road isn't far.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Chiapa Del Corzo

I may be overthinking this, but I like to plan ahead. I've been looking at this route on Google Earth. I see a road, 190, that runs from San Cristobal to Tuxtla. 190 runs right across the top edge of Chiapa de Corzo. So if the collectivo drops you there, it seems like it would be a relatively short walk.

There's another road, which I assume is the toll road, is much further away. Doesn't seem like you could walk from there to town.

So which road do the collectivos take? Is it 190? And if so, where is the pedestrian bridge everyone mentions? Thanks!

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Chiapa Del Corzo

It is a short walk. I have done it.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,469 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Chiapa Del Corzo

I see a pedestrian bridge right about here: http://goo.gl/maps/OAUmN

...which is roughly where I jumped off and later picked up another bus going back. About 2+km from downtown CdC, which to me is walking distance.

Going back, make sure you flag a bus marked autopista or cuota (toll road). The road splits just past there, and you want the quick road since you've already "paid for it" by walking the distance.

PS, notice I said bus. I haven't tried colectivos.

Edited: 11:33 am, April 01, 2013
San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Chiapa Del Corzo

Going back I stood on the highway and waved down a collective but didn't pay attention to the route it was taking. It went the libre which is a beautiful but much longer drive with many shard curves.

Edited: 12:08 pm, April 01, 2013
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Chiapa Del Corzo

Viajero, that helps. I wasn't looking that far along. On this day, I'll be coming to Chiapa De Corzo from Tuxtla. I'll then be heading on to San Cristobal. I could backtrack to Tuxtla, or find the place on the highway to catch the bus or colectivo and head straight back to San Cristobal. Since I won't have come that way, it may not be obvious where to catch it, so your picture gives me a better idea. I may just ask a cab driver to take me to the stop, they always know where this sort of stuff is. Others have referenced the Pemex station in the NE corner of the city. Maybe that is the colectivo, and the bus is the bridge.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Chiapa Del Corzo

Thanks, Heydule.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,469 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Chiapa Del Corzo

Backtracking to Tuxtla sound like the long way. I'd either aim for the bridge and a toll-road bus (per above), or look for a colectivo inside the town - probably by the square - that would take the slow road.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Chiapa Del Corzo

I did this today. It went somewhat according to plan. Moon guide let me down, the colectivo stop they mention in Tuxtla for Chiapa is not where they say it is. Asked around and found it a few blocks away. The Cathedral in Tuxtla wasn't worth the effort anyway. Enjoyed the Canon Sumidero tour, and Chiapa de Corzo, though it was 100 degrees. Ended up having a cab driver drop me on the highway (didn't feel like walking to it from centro -- did I mention it was 100 degrees?), and had to wait about 15-20 minutes before I was able to flag down a colectivo headed back to San Cristobal. Thanks again for all the pointers, everyone. I'm glad I was able to do this at my pace and not as part of a tour.

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Chiapa Del Corzo

100 degrees is why I only go down the mountain in the winter and its not even summer yet.