We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Agency: Palenque, Agua Azul and other sights

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Agency: Palenque, Agua Azul and other sights

Hello All,

I plan to travel from San Cristobal to Palenque in Mid March. Rather than taking a direct bus, I would like to do one of the tours that leaves San Cristobal in the early morning, stops at Agua Azul and other sights, before getting to the ruins in the afternoon. I would then want to stay in Palenque, instead of returning back.

Can anyone recommend a tour agency, and how safe is this journey?

Thanks.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,209 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Agency: Palenque, Agua Azul and other sights

It could well be that there's only a single van making the through trip on any given day, and that any agency will connect you with that van. I'm just speculating here. I did the sights on a there-and-back day trip from Palenque, via some agency in El Panchan whose name I've forgotten, and our van met up with another on the road, where we merged two half-loads of people into one single van for efficiency's sake.

Safety? It should be as safe as any ride in a van on a twisty mountain road anywhere. It's a good paved road, but it sure is twisty.

However... Do see this and dig around a bit: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g664450-i15122-k42…

I suspect the event was a tempest in a teapot. (Note that TA deletes posts about news events, so I'm being vague.)

Elsewhere
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Agency: Palenque, Agua Azul and other sights

I took the bus straight from San Cristobal to Palenque when I was there last February and unfortunately skipped Agua Azul.

But have you considered going to Palenque first and then getting transportation/day tour, that way you will not be burdened with backpacks/suitcases and have to worry that someone may abscond with your belongings while you are hiking or swimming? They run van tours to Misol-Ha and Agua Azul from Palenque. Ave. Juarez is full of reasonably priced tour/transportation providers and I found them to be quite good – that is if you are an independent sort as they don’t seem to give ‘tours’ in a traditional sense, which is fine by me.

I think you may have too much planed for one day, as the trip from San Cristobal to Palenque takes about five hours, three or so hours for Agua Azul and then the Palenque archaeological site?

Puebla, Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Agency: Palenque, Agua Azul and other sights

Hello,

my question is the same.

Can anyone recommend a tour operator? How many will it cost more or less if I book in San Cristobal?

Thanks a lot

A.

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Agency: Palenque, Agua Azul and other sights

It is best to do the trip from Palenque. There are many tour agencys in Palenque. To do it from San Cristobal is a long trip and you don't get as much time at either of the falls.

Rockville...
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Agency: Palenque, Agua Azul and other sights

My husband and I were very happy with Ruta Chiapas Tours & Travel, Av. La Paz #2, Altejar, San Cristobal de Las Casas. The owner, Sergio Flores, speaks good English and his prices were reasonable. Also, he's a careful and skillful driver and a good companion. Phone # is 044 967 114 62 41.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Agency: Palenque, Agua Azul and other sights

I just did this trip two weeks ago, but from where I live in Tuxtla (we stopped in SCLC to pick up some others though). I used an agency called Viaje por Chiapas and the cost was 650 pesos return.

It's a rough trip. We stopped for breakfast at a "buffet" outside of Ocosingo and every other tour bus stopped there too. It was a bit of a madhouse and the cost was 75 pesos.

Then we had about an hour or so in Agua Azul and on that trip the water wasn't even blue. There had been rain, so it was coffee colored water. But the time there was plenty.

We also had about an hour at Misol-ha and we were expected to eat during that one hour. There is one restaurant to choose from.

We then went to Palenque and had 2 hours to see the ruins. If you are staying in Palenque and can return the next day, then the time isn't an issue for you.

Our driver was good, the tour was fine, I would recommend the tour company. I doubt this tour differs much between all of the tour agencies. And there were a lot of other tour vans at every stop, so I think there are a lot going each day.

good luck.

7. Re: Tour Agency: Palenque, Agua Azul and other sights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 05, 2014