We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving a rental car from Cancun to San Cristobal

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Cristobal de las Casas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving a rental car from Cancun to San Cristobal

I am flying into Cancun this June and would like to drive to San Cristobal de las Casas. I will be a traveling alone and intend to spend a week in San Cristobal, then drive back down to the Yucatan for another 2 weeks. My question is: How long a drive is it from Cancun to San Cristobal? Can it be done in 5-6 hours or should I break it up and stay somewhere overnight, arriving at SCC the next day? Thanks for any insight.

Mary

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving a rental car from Cancun to San Cristobal

With the occasional stop it will take around 14 hours. You should invest in a map :)) This site has recommended routes and estimated drive times (which tend to be optimistic): …sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI…

Memphis, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving a rental car from Cancun to San Cristobal

Thanks. Looks like I'll need to break up the drive into 2 days.

Thanks

Memphis, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving a rental car from Cancun to San Cristobal

Hi , I have another question about driving from Cancun to San Cristobal de las Casas. I looked up that website that was suggested and it said approx. 12 hours. It takes the route via Merida, Campeche and then down into Chiapas. Doesn't this seem to be a long way around? Why not go down through Chetumal and then over to Chipas? On the map it seems the shorter way.Thanks for your insight.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving a rental car from Cancun to San Cristobal

The mileage is almost identical but the Merida route is slightly quicker (maybe 30 minutes, no more) because more of the journey is by highway. That website basically considers the type of road and the speed limit on that road and then calculates the travel time.accordingly (assuming you drive exactly the speed limit). If you exceed the speed limit then you can do it more quickly but of course no account is made of stopping at toll booths, stopping at lights, slowing for speed bumps etc.

Prague, Czech...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving a rental car from Cancun to San Cristobal

Hello,

which car rental did you use to drive from Cancun to San Cristobal? We are planning the same drive only reverse - renting a car in San Cristobal and finishing in Cancun (possibly from some car rental covering full insurrance). Many thanks for your reply.

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving a rental car from Cancun to San Cristobal

It takes about 16 hours on the ADO Bus.

7. Re: Driving a rental car from Cancun to San Cristobal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, August 20, 2013