We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

I recently spent a week in the Chiapas area with a native Mexican friend. I had hired a guide in the San Cristobal area to take us to some of the outlying villages. My friend was insistent that we didn't need a guide because he was of course from Mexico and could get around just fine. Well, I'm glad I didn't listen to him and so was he!! Our guide was fantastic! Our trip would not have been the same without her. We were able to experience the culture and learn so much more with her than on our own. If you are going to San Cristobal it is worth every penny to contact her. Her name is Meli Montoya--and you can reach her by email at melitamontoya@gmail.com

She then was able to put us in contact with another superb guide in Palenque--Don Nicolaus---He was exceptional and again made our experience that much more rich and meaningful. My friend also agrees that it would not have been the same without the insight and knowledge of our two superb guides. Chiapas is beautiful and well worth the time to visit. I can't wait to get back there!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

I think it is probably the safest place in Mexico. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

We had absolutely no problems. The city was very safe. The only warning is not to travel at night because of the Zapatisten Rebels. I felt completely comfortable and safe the whole time. It was a fabulous experience.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

My 23 year old daughter is traveling alone to SC to work on a farm there. Do you know the best way to get there from Playa del Carmen area? Also, did you feel it was safe enough to be on your own and use buses?

thanks.

Hollister...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

We are planning on visiting San Cristobal and Palenque next spring ... your info is great as well as the thread of comments. Would love to have a guide while in Palenque. Do you have the contact information for Don Nicolaus?

Gracias.

Hollister...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

We are planning on visiting San Cristobal and Palenque next spring ... your info is great as well as the thread of comments. Would love to have a guide while in Palenque. Do you have the contact information for Don Nicolaus?

Gracias.

16. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, October 15, 2012