We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conditions in San Cristobal since the quake?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
332 reviews
Save Topic
Conditions in San Cristobal since the quake?

I've been thinking of booking a trip in January or February to Xela, Guatemala (a.k.a. Quetzaltenango) and/or San Cristobal de las Casas. I'd go for Spanish classes and vacation. But I read a news report that the main hospital in Xela collapsed and forum posts saying there was significant damage in Oaxaca City. So, before I buy a flight, I'm wondering how things might be early next year for San Cristobal, the villages around, the airport in Tuxtla Gutierrez and the road to it, etc. Thanks.

3 replies to this topic
Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conditions in San Cristobal since the quake?

I live in the historic center of Oaxaca. There was virtually no destruction from the earthquakes here - only minor surface damage to very old and already deteriorating buildings. San Cristobal could be a different story. I plan to go in March of 2018, and the TV is encouraging tourism to return to bring in very much needed financial resources.

Province of Massa...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Conditions in San Cristobal since the quake?

We are here now taking English classes. Some damage has closed a few cathedrals, but otherwise the place is intact.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conditions in San Cristobal since the quake?

We just arrived in San Cristobal today. No major damage noted, although several cathedrals were blocked off. Road from Tuxtla Gutierrez airport was fine.

Reply to: Conditions in San Cristobal since the quake?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Cristobal de las...