We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Ocosingo and Tonina Ruins

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Marcos, Texas
Level Contributor
564 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Ocosingo and Tonina Ruins

I like to have my trip all palnned out. i was thinking about leaving SCDLC in the afternoon and going to Ocosingo spending the night, seeing Tonina ruins early then heading to Palenque. I know ADO runs buses run sorta near there but with recent blockades etc and traveling through Villahermosa is there a better way to go from SCDLC to Ocosingo? Will be there in mid November.

Collectivos, second class buses, taxis, etc, My Spanish is pretty good and i am an experienced Mexico traveler. Thanks for any help.

3 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Ocosingo and Tonina Ruins

As a seasoned traveller of Mexico you will realise that this is not a region you can make definite plans for. However from memory you won't get an ADO you will be needing a combination of Collectivos and taxis. you will need tot travel the Highway 199 which the ADOs don't go down. Collectivo SCDLC to OCO then OCO to Palenque. From OCO to Tonina Collectivo or taxi. I'd type in the search word Tonina in the Chiapas forum as there are a number of posts and some detail how people got there, time required and modes of transport and whether they stayed at Ocosingo or not. Its good and a must to research but be prepared to be flexible with your plans

NC
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Ocosingo and Tonina Ruins

There was a blockade 2 or 3 days ago on the Pan American Highway close to Ocosingo, but no problems, just delays. For an interesting account of it, see the blog slowcarfasthouse.com

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Ocosingo and Tonina Ruins

You'll be able to get more reliable information in San Cristóbal -- you might want to check with the tour companies there first to see if they offer a tour that meets your needs. I took a one-day tour from San Cristóbal to Toniná that was reasonably priced. The hostel or hotel where you stay can probably offer up-to-date information on other forms of transportation.I guess you know San Cristóbal was hit by the earthquake Sept. 7.

Reply to: Trip to Ocosingo and Tonina Ruins
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Cristobal de las...