We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Traveler - Safety of the OCC Night Bus to Palenque?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
298 posts
306 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Traveler - Safety of the OCC Night Bus to Palenque?

Hello,

I was looking on ADO's website and see that there is a 10:30 pm night bus from San Cristobal to Palenque on the OCC bus.

I will be traveling solo to the region in a few months and have read multiple reports of night buses being targeted for robberies, which concerns me.

Is OCC a second class bus or a first class bus? Is it safe to travel on the bus along this route during the nighttime? Are there any solo travelers here who have made this journey recently and can comment about your experiences?

Thank you.

Huatulco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Huatulco
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Traveler - Safety of the OCC Night Bus to Palenque?

ADO has been going over Villahermosa lately, to avoid any possible issues on the direct route....

Roberto

Edited: 10:04 am, August 30, 2017
London, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Traveler - Safety of the OCC Night Bus to Palenque?

Yeah, you won't be going direct, but via Villahermosa instead which is a safe route. I took this root a few weeks ago. Takes about 8 hours.

ADO is a top bus company in Mexico so they care about passenger safety. Robberies do happen, but mainly on smaller companies buses using non - toll roads at night.

OCC is still a first class bus, but slightly less comfortable in comparison to ADO. Same company though.

You are also going to be filmed with other passengers for your own safety as often robbers disguise themselves as passengers.

Relax and enjoy it. You will be fine

3. Re: Solo Traveler - Safety of the OCC Night Bus to Palenque?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 05, 2018
Get answers to your questions about San Cristobal de las...