We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good tour guide

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Good tour guide

Hi,

Just returned from Oaxaca and we had two wonderful tour guides. Alberto is the driver and Ivan is the guide. Both speak very good English and are lots of fun. They constantly made sure they were traveling throught the safest parts of town and they avoided any of the problem areas. There were nine women and we all thought they were great guides. I have traveled a lot and they are in my top three list of guides!

Here is Ivan's phone number. After I called him he came to the hotel within 30 min. to meet with me and arrange our tours. There were places we wanted to go that are not on the normal tour list and he made sure we went there. He also told us which places allowed bargaining and which did not. That was helpful as some of the women do not like to bargain.

We took three different tours and they were all wonderful. They will also stop anytime you need a photo or have to use a toilet or ATM. Very helpful and they love what they do.

Ivan O. Diaz Vasquez 044 951 156 5296

or his email is diaz_inter@hotmail. com

Please tell him Mary Anne recommended him.

Oh, if you are stuck in your hotel and are hungry call Los Combinados. They deliver tacos, quesadillas, alambres, beer and beverages. Really good food. I love their alambre de pollo con queso. THis is a chicken shish kabob that is grilled and then chopped and melted cheese is added. There are tortillas and all sorts of toppings, salsas etc. that come with it. Very cheap. Also tacos al pastor and tacos de bistec. Don't forget the cebollitas (grilled green onions, my favorites)

There are three locations

Periferico #365

Tel. 51 471 29

Emilio Carranza #602

51 581 64

Conzatti:Reforma #705

51 581 64

wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good tour guide

We also returned from Oaxaca recently and had hired a private driver named Roberto.The vehicle is a suburban with leather seats, a/c, and a knowledgeable driver who spoke impecable English. We visited the home of Rodolfo Morales and met his sister-in-law Mina. Also saw his mural at the municipio, and his museum in an old monestary. Visited the working shops of the Aguilar sisters (and cousin Concepcion), and got to meet Paulo Aguilar, the surviving brother who still makes knives from scrap metal, bone and plumbing parts (a must see). Many more sights were seen, along with a woman at the Ocotlan market who is Frida Kahlo reincarnated! Roberto also knew many of the premier weavers in Teotitlan and saw a family raising and using cochineal along with other natural plant based colorings in their rugs. If you get the chance, take a tour with Roberto, he will not disappoint! We had read about him in this forum and saw his poster ad at Hotel Las Golandrinas. roberto_gavidia@yahoo.com

044 951 157 0779

or 044 951 121 6846

2. Re: Good tour guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, August 26, 2009