We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mexico city airport

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
2 posts
Save Topic
mexico city airport

We are arriving at the Mex. City airport, and now have 40 minutes to change planes for Mazatlan. It is all on Mexicana-can we make it? Otherwise the next connection is 8 hours.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mexico city airport

If you've checked your luggage, don't expect it to arrive with you in Mazatlan. I don't know why the airline computer systems permit this type of transfer because it rarely works out with the checked bags.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mexico city airport

Where are you going to clear Immigration - Mexico City? I think so, and if I'm right you're not likely to make your connection. Maybe yes, maybe no. The luggage might make the transfer if you're not required to clear Customs in Mexico City. Why not telephone Mexicana and ask them this question? Travelers AND the airline companies need to pay attention to these short connect times, but, in the end - we're responsible for the arrangements. Best wishes for a trouble-free journey!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mexico city airport

I don't know why this is on the Oaxaca forum, but here goes.

You might be able to make it if you don't use the regular immigration area. There is a special immigration gate for people transferring from international to domestic flights that have a short time to get the paperwork completed and board the next plane. It's at gate 18 or 19 I think. When you head toward immigration, just keep going and pass by it. You'll see glass doors up ahead where you'll pass through security getting to the domestic side. But instead of passing straight, through security, you'll take a turn to the right. As you come up to the security point, you'll see the immigration desk located on your right. You'll probably be the only ones in line. No one is allowed to use it except for travelers in situations like yours. They will turn people away that are just trying to avoid the regular immigration area.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mexico city airport

I've flown into Oaxaca, via Mexico City, via Mexicana, several times. Have had no problems making connections. Most of the time I only have one hour. As the previous poster stated, there is a specific line for immigration for people transferring/making connections. Airline staff are really helpful and will point the way for you. Good luck! I think it will be fine!

5. Re: mexico city airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, August 23, 2009