We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still on track for Oaxaca

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
charleston
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Still on track for Oaxaca

We plan to arrive in Oaxaca City Nov. 17 for a week--we've thought of changing our plans, but seems like as long as we are careful and stay away from demonstrations, all will go okay. Are most restaurants,museums and attractions still open? I've read that many villages have few visitors these days. We will be flying in from DF.

Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Still on track for Oaxaca

If it comes to the worst: you're in Oaxaca and the planes aren't

going to Mexico City, ADO has good, fast first-class busses from Oaxaca to points north and elsewhere From the Zocalo, their

terminal is to the northeast, in the opposite direction from the

current center of hostilities.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Still on track for Oaxaca

I just returned from a week in Oaxaca. We were 9 women and I think we were some of the only tourists in Oaxaca from Nov 7-13th. We had a marvelous time and were not ever uncomfortable. The people are now going about their business and on Sunday night there was a bandstand set up in the zocalo and people were sitting and listening. The PFP was there but not preventing anything from happening.

The kids returned to school on the 13th and Santo Domingo was quiet. I believe there are still problems by the university, but we never needed to be near there. We took day trips to most of the main villages and it was lovely, just said that the vendors were pretty desperate to sell their wares.

I know it was very unpleasant the week before we came and I also know there are threats that more things will happen. I doubt the trouble is over. But I still think you can be careful and go to the villages and archeological sites and stay out of the trouble. There has been no indication that either side is against tourism. Just don't get caught up in the protests.

Supposedly on Nov. 20th Obredor is going to declare himself President. That surely will cause some upset all over the country. Then on Dec. 1st Calderon will be inaugurated and then on the 2nd it is rumored that Ulises will resign as governor of Oaxaca but he will hand the power over to another member of PRI so nothing will really change.

I want to post the name of our guide but will do that in another post. Don't want it to get lost in this long post.

mabeads30

13. Re: Still on track for Oaxaca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 14, 2009