We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Oaxaca 11/30

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Central California...
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into Oaxaca 11/30

We're commited to getting to Oaxaca. We arrive MC early 11/30 with flight to OAX that morning. How do things look locally. I've read everything in the papers/internet.

Oaxaca
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Oaxaca 11/30

You probably couldn't pick a worse time so be prepared to go with the flow. It's possible the military will be in Oaxaca by the time you arrive. Of course, it's possible they won't be. Much of Oaxaca is closed today because of the turmoil. No one really knows what's happening.

No buses are running today. A friend came to see me by cab and when she left she headed to the market to buy fruits and vegetables for the family. Life goes on.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into Oaxaca 11/30

"We're commited to getting to Oaxaca."

Why?

Central California...
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into Oaxaca 11/30

gomexico asked why committed..........we're meeting a cousin who has gone there evey year for years....stays with friends......is a prof of art with special interest in Dia de los Muertos celebrations.......and, lastly, we're stuck with some costly airfare..............if Oaxaca doesn't work out we will 'go with the flow', as the other responder suggested, and go somewhere else. Once down there we planned to stay in Oax til Fri. and then head to other parts by bus. Than may happen sooner than we expected/

Appreciate you taking the time to ask &/or respond.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into Oaxaca 11/30

Does anyone know if the airport is open for flights tomorrow (Sunday)?

Los Angeles
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into Oaxaca 11/30

I heard that there is no commercial flights arriving. I would call the airlines and check it out. Also a friend just got back from Puebla this morning by bus. It took him 14 hours. The trip is normally 4 1/2 hours. The road was closed and then reopen and closed again before he entered Oaxaca.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into Oaxaca 11/30

seek4me, thanks for the further explanation.

About tomorrow (10-29), I think it's still hit/miss whether the airport will be open. The principal reason for today's restrictions/closure was that federal troops were ferried back and forth and some heavy equipment was brought in - so airspace and groundspace were both occupied with this priority.

Tomorrow may well be different. I don't think it's a good idea to transit to Oaxaca these next few days, until it's determined whether or not more violence/disruptions will take place. The federal government has given the terrorists (I've begun using this term because it accurately describes the action of the extremists causing the violence) an ultimatum to abandon the buildings/streets it's taken forcibly. If the ultimatum is ignored, I suspect there will be bloodshed in the streets of central Oaxaca in the coming day.

With any luck, the terrorists will pack-up and move on, to fight another day - and let the federal forces move-in to restore order and give Oaxaca residents their lives back. Let's all say a prayer for peace.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying into Oaxaca 11/30

The airport's closed. Don't come. You won't get in. I arrived the same today as the police. Flight delayed because of it. Police stormed zocalo last night. Not safe or fun time to come. Additionally, many locals have said that this year's dia de los muertos festivities will be way pared down. Go somehwere else to see dia de los muertos. I'd be surprised, if you ever did make it to the airport, if you were able to get out of it. When I arrived, the day before last night's activities, I was asked to give personal information where I was staying, warned not to go in. And even then, shuttles, taxis, refused to go into the city.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying into Oaxaca 11/30

Here's the web address of a site displaying photos taken in Oaxaca yesterday (10-29-06):

http://tinyurl.com/yfxbnu

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying into Oaxaca 11/30

Do not under any circumstances come here this week. Anyone who does, is risking a lot. Go to Puebla, go to the coast, go anywere, but not here. It was frightening last night, on the access highway from DF, entering the city, and I had to spend the night in a motel even though I was only 10 minutes from my home. This morning I had to drive over a dry riverbed and dirt roads to avoid masked protesters, etc., just to get home I've never said don't come, but this week at least yesterday and today, is different.

Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying into Oaxaca 11/30

Mexico City newspaper "El Universal" has an online album of photos taken yesterday, and days earlier, in Oaxaca - this is the website address:

…eluniversal.com.mx/appo_oaxaca/index.html#