We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dia de los Muertos

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Long Beach. CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dia de los Muertos

I have a group scheduled to travel to Oaxaca for Dia de los Muertos. When I e-mailed my hotel (Las Golondrinas), he assured me that tourists have not had problems and that his hotel is operating normally. Could this be possible?

Can taxis get in and out of the city? I am thinking about coming and staying (quietly and unobtrusively) in Oaxaca and spending most of my time in the outlying villages. But if taxis have difficulty coming in and out, that may not be possible.

Any thoughts on Dia de los Muertos?

Oaxaca
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dia de los Muertos

I live in Oaxaca and chat with tourists, when we have tourists, and I haven't had any mention having had problems. With some roads blocked and so forth, getting around is inconvenient but taxis with radios are pretty good at keeping up-to-date on what roads are blocked and alternative routes.

I live in Oaxaca and walk where I want downtown and have had absolutely no problems beyond inconvenience. It's more serious for locals.

Much of what people enjoy about Oaxaca is missing. Sitting in the zocalo is dreary, most of the music is gone, and it's just, well, sad.

Las Golindrinas is a nice hotel and is within walking distance of downtown. There are plenty of guides now who have cars that you could probably hire inexpensively through your hotel.

Oaxaca
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dia de los Muertos

Another thought. Two brothers have opened a restaurant with a continental menu right downtown, diagonally across the intersection from Teatro Makedonia. It's called The Olive. They're struggling since they opened just a few months before the nonsense started. They have an excellent breakfast, their specials for comida are wonderful, and their menu is quite good. If you get a chance, give them a try. The waiter is Antonio.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dia de los Muertos

There are other, equally interesting destinatons for Dia de los Muertos . . . that you might want to consider instead of the uncertainties of Oaxaca. At a minimum, maybe a "Plan B" is called for. Hotel owners are almost all staying "all is well," and . . . from what we've learned . . . it isn't. Maybe things will be fine when you arrive . . . and maybe not. Is this something you're willing to risk with your group? Inform yourself the best you can, and make your decision.

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dia de los Muertos

Regarding the gomexico commentary, while the two of us in the past have clashed regarding opinions, I agree with him/her this time, and more generally over the past couple of weeks. You have different considerations that must be addressed since you are bringing a group with you and presumably have a responsibility to each member of the group. My personal opinion would be different if simply advising a single family or couple. In my respectful opinion, anyone bringing a group with him/her, the members of whom are relying on the organizer for opinions and advice regarding safety and security, and even same regarding whether or not they will have the vacation that was represented to them, ought to pay close attention to the consular warnings and ought to consult with an attorney well versed in the law of travel and/or negligence, and with his/her (the organizer's) insurer. I would be concerned about liability issues. I would hope that gomexico would see eye to eye with me on this one. Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Long Beach. CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dia de los Muertos

I really appreciate your comments. I have had the same thoughts. If i was traveling alone, I would have far less concern, since I have been to Oaxaca many times, speak Spanish, and generally have a comfort level in Mexico that my fellow travelers may not share.

Any further updates are much appreciated. I hope to see you in Oaxaca under better circumstances soon.

6. Re: Dia de los Muertos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, August 21, 2009