We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Immersion School in Oaxaca?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Jose, California
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Spanish Immersion School in Oaxaca?

Does anyone have experience with the "Spanish Immersion School" (http://www.spanishschoolinmexico.com) in Oaxaca? It sounds great (one-on-one instruction with university-trained professors, lessons tailored to cultural activities, etc), but I can't find any reference or reviews anywhere, which worries me.

I am planning to study for a week next month with my 9-year-old son, and am hoping for a place that will be appropriate for both of us. (We are both intermediate-level speakers.) We are also interested in a homestay, and I've heard not-so-good things about ICO's homestay setup.

Many thanks,

Vanessa

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish Immersion School in Oaxaca?

Sorry I have no direct experience but I recommend Becari, as have many other posters on this site. They will arrange homestays and are very flexible in matching students and teachers and level of instruction. They also offer one-on-one tutoring like the school you are considering but in their own classroom environment.

Note the school you are considering has no physical "school" in Centro. The classes are one-on-one in "cultural settings around the city". You should decide first if this open-ended and public setting is ideal for you for learning as well as for your son. It could be very energizing or very distracting depending on the style of learning you prefer. Also next month (August) is still the rainy season so out of door classes may not be possible during part of the day. You should inquire as to their plans for these situations.

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish Immersion School in Oaxaca?

If voyamexico is correct about no physical location, I would opt for a member of the Oaxaca Spanish Language School Association, such as Becari. Yes, Becari tailors to levels, children, etc. I attended Becari twice in the 90s and was very satisfied. Guests have attended Spanish Magic and Instituto Cultural de Oaxaca and have been pleased as well. There is one school I would stay away from, but since I live here it is wise to not note the name. But the association members are all good to my thinking and get good reviews across the board.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast; Mezcal Educational Excursions of Oaxaca

Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
115 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish Immersion School in Oaxaca?

Dear Vanessa,

I've heard good reviews regarding Solexico where a friend learned spanish and great reviews about Spanish Magic http://www.oaxacaspanishmagic.com/ (where I've known two of the instructors for some years...many of their students keep coming back to them on each years visit)

Best wishes and

Bienvenidos!

Mahsa - Journeys Beyond the Surface, Oaxaca

Richmond, California
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish Immersion School in Oaxaca?

http://www.spanishschoolinmexico.com/ was the school I chose for a two week course and glad I did. The teachers are keyed into the students' needs and tailor the course of study appropriately. I would like to add that they not only focused on my language needs but also incorporated my cultural and social interests. They encouraged me to step outside my level of comfort to use my Spanish in social settings. The teachers made me feel like family with their warmth and concern for my well being. A definite four star experience!

Taos County, New...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish Immersion School in Oaxaca?

I'm currently in the middle of 3 weeks with the school, and it's excellent. I'm taking 5 hours per day without getting worn out. I've had a bit of experience with other schools in Mexico and this one has been the best for me so far. I was greeted at the airport, driven to my home stay, and Lazaro made sure that I had everything I needed. I have 2 instructors and they are both excellent. They are both university trained, and they both know enough english to be able to explain some of the more confusing concepts.

Yes I recommend the Spanish Immersion School whole heartedly.

Richmond, California
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish Immersion School in Oaxaca?

(http://www.spanishschoolinmexico.com) in Oaxaca? It sounds great (one-on-one instruction with university-trained professors, lessons tailored to cultural activities, etc),

Lazaro and Jacob were my two teachers, giving a wonderful blend of teaching styles and a sharing of themselves in a way that allowed me to understand Spanish on a more subtle level. Jacob took me to the school where he taught kindergarten, giving me a look a Oaxaca I would otherwise be unable to see. They also introduced me to their other students creating a sense of community (we celebrated a birthday!).

My home stay with Spanish Immersion was fantastic! I had a room with a bath of my own and ate with the other students who were staying at the home found for me. The food was delicious as the host also gave cooking lessons. We practiced Spanish and learned local etiquette during meals in a familial environment. I had a key of my own so I could come and go as I pleased. I loved the home stay experience more than any hotel experience I ever had.

I wanted to add that I was interested in learning more about the teachers' union in Oaxaca. Lázaro took the time to research the current state of affairs between the unions, giving me the addresses of both and helping me craft questions for an interview. He then did the most difficult part which was to encourage me to go to the unions and DO the interviews. I cannot tell you how empowering (and difficult) that was. I would not have been able to do so without the nurturing given by my teachers!

I can not say enough to express the pleasure in being hosted and taught by the Spanish Immersion School.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish Immersion School in Oaxaca?

No doubt about it, the Spanish Immersion School in Oaxaca is legitimate. And more. The school is relatively new and intimate, but Lázaro and his teachers took my basic Spanish and transformed it into something really useful. (I went there because I work with a lot of Latino families here in San Francisco.) Lázaro set me up with excellent, spacious, private accommodations in a colonial-era household run by a very special hostess who also happens to be an expert cook. I found my one-on-one Spanish classes to be highly customized and amazingly affordable, and I supplemented my lessons with excursions to see the amazing natural and cultural marvels that surround Oaxaca. Not to be missed: Hierve el Agua, el Arbol de Tule, the weavers and alebrije workshops, the main mercado. Lázaro has personal connections with the local arts/artisan scene, which is really considerable in Oaxaca. I highly recommend this school.

Oaxaca, Mexico
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish Immersion School in Oaxaca?

Hi Vanessa,

I'm an Australian living in Oaxaca for almost 2 years. I've been learning Spanish for most of that time with Lazaro and Jacob at Spanish Immersion School. I can definitely say it's legit, and a great school. It's a very relaxed environment to study in and they are really friendly and open people who will go out of their way to show you what life is like in Oaxaca.

The classes go beyond a typical classroom setting, especially as you are generally studying one on one out in the streets or cafes and bars of Oaxaca, as well they are more than happy to take you on excursions to communities, festivals and other sites around the city... in the end you'll feel more like you are hanging out with friends.

I can recommend this school for sure.

Mexico City, Mexico
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Spanish Immersion School in Oaxaca?

I attended the Spanish immersion school in Oaxaca last February with a friend of mine. First I must say that visiting Oaxaca was a great experience and a beautiful city. The school itself was very nice. The classes were held outside in a park or at a church even in a coffee house. The instructors were professional, spoke English if you needed to and were very nice people. I learned quite a bit in one week and continue to learn Spanish since I live in Mexico. I would highly recommend attending for a week. I think you will enjoy yourselves.

Scott

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Spanish Immersion School in Oaxaca?

I attended the Spanish Immersion school in Oaxaca with friends for 10 days this past July. Overall, it was a wonderful experience The instructors were very friendly and went above and beyond to make sure that we had a great experience. I especially enjoyed the excursions, our classes with the local artisans and our cooking classes. The overall price is very reasonable as well. I would highly recommend.