We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to Palenque from Oaxaca

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
going to Palenque from Oaxaca

Hi…we are interested in knowing if there is any reason we should not consider driving to Palenque from Oaxaca…i.e. roads or safety….I get very nervous with curvy roads and steep drop-offs.

Thanks...

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Southern Mexico, Mexico
Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going to Palenque from Oaxaca

No reason at all to not do the drive. We've done it, and thoroughly enjoyed it, starting along 190 and heading to the coast, then to San Cristobal de las Casas, etc. I've written about the drive for the suite101.com website, so you should be able to find something about the drive, possibly divided into two articles. The article is a few years old, and since then the roads have been improved. 190 is the easiest of the three main highways to the coast, but of course there will be the odd section which is not to your liking. We felt safe 100% of the time, and the federal police checkpoints made me feel even more secure. The ones that existed when I wrote the articles are enumerated.

Alvin Starkman - www.oaxaca-mezcal.com

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going to Palenque from Oaxaca

Thank you Alvin….I checked all your articles but could not find one about driving to Palenque…but I did find other articles that I marked as they look really interesting…..I also would like to take this time to thank you for your suggestion of eating at Teranova for the Radish Festival…it was an excellent choice...

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going to Palenque from Oaxaca

You should be able to find it. Here's a link to the subsequent article on the route; I simply don't have the time today to find the earlier one: https://suite101.com/a/driving-palenque-to-o…

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: going to Palenque from Oaxaca

Thank you I did see that article but did not realize it was also going to Oaxaca….I will find the earlier one..enjoy your day...

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Southern Mexico, Mexico
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: going to Palenque from Oaxaca

I agree with Alvin that the drive is safe. It does go through mountains so you have curves and steep drip-offs but the road (2-lane) is well-built for the terrain. If the roads through the mountains around Benson and Tucson are acceptable then this one should be too.

I would plan at least 2 days for the trip over, with a stop off either in the Juchitan region of Oaxaca or Chiapa de Corzo depending on how early you start. The mountains mean you can't do the "average 50 mph" calculation that would work in the States to figure time of travel. Best strategy is to stay overnight near Palenque so you can be there when the site opens in the morning. Fewer crowds then and the humidity can be fierce by noon. There are other interesting sites in the vicinity but they would require an extended trip and I don't know how much time you have.

I think there is a Chiapas Forum that can probably give recommendations specific to that area.

Mentioned in this post
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Juchitan
Juchitan
Oaxaca, Mexico
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Southern Mexico, Mexico
Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: going to Palenque from Oaxaca

Thank you voyamexico…as per your advice I did post on the Palenque forum…..so I shall see what happens with that…as for driving around Benson and Tucson…there are no drop offs that I have seen :)

Mentioned in this post
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: going to Palenque from Oaxaca

Well by around I meant "in the vicinity". I was thinking of the road up Mt. Lemmon for example. Or the one through the pass going to the Desert Museum.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: going to Palenque from Oaxaca

I knew what you meant…I should have added lol….but those roads are nothing like the ones I was on in a bus in Ecuador or the bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca which are the ones that scare me..…

Edited: 2:33 pm, December 27, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Ecuador
Ecuador
South America
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Southern Mexico, Mexico
9. Re: going to Palenque from Oaxaca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 29, 2014