We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oaxaca to P. Escondido - by bus?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Oaxaca to P. Escondido - by bus?

The info I found here is a few years old so I am looking for more current info. We are going to Oaxaca in Feb. and were thinking of taking the bus to P. Escondido but the thought of needing dramamine in order to endure the ride turns me right off. Mention was made of road improvements, just wondering if they ever happened.

Other than a plane, is there an easy way to get to P. Escondido?

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Oaxaca to P. Escondido - by bus?

There are more recent posts. Here are links to ones that are most applicable to your situation.

tripadvisor.com/…52962125

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150801-i459-k6235…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150801-i459-k6869…

In summary: The bus takes a more roundabout route and is an overnight ride. Vans take the more direct route to P.E. and Huatulco but are nausea inducing. Flights are more expensive. The road has been under construction for at least the last 5 years and is improving but the most challenging section through the mountains is still undone; unless a miracle occurred in the past weeks (I am not currently in Oaxaca) any posts from this year are still accurate.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oaxaca to P. Escondido - by bus?

Thanks, I'll check the links you provided. I do think we'll take a pass on this adventure!

What else is closer to Oaxaca and worth a look? We are staying with friends in San Felipe del Agua and I'd like to go to Monte Alban but other than that we are open to suggestion. My husband has a big desire for a beer by the water - is that possible anywhere near Oaxaca?

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oaxaca to P. Escondido - by bus?

If by water you mean ocean, the closest would be Salina Cruz, about 4.5 hours by car. But it's not really a tourist area for sun sand and surf. Otherwise, there is no water in or near Oaxaca except the odd dam, trout ponds, and the Río Atoyac but you don't want to sit and have a beer beside it. Since you are staying with friends, why not ask them. I could go on for paragraphs and paragraphs, but it's really not appropriate, so my suggestion is to use the resources you already have who live in or regularly vacation in Oaxaca, that is your friends. On the other hand, for beer have a look at this: casamachaya.com/1/…1.html.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Edited: 4:48 pm, November 30, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oaxaca to P. Escondido - by bus?

Oaxaca and its surrounds have many attractions. Just not beaches. Oaxaca is the principal city in a long valley. There have been well developed cultures here for over 3000 years. Besides numerous ruins..Monte Alban and Mitla being the major ones, the long history has resulted in the development of a tremendous artistic and handicraft tradition. Monte Alban is just outside of town and reached by tourist buses from Hotel Rivera de Angel or from a stop in the Zocalo. Many of the villages in the valley can be reached by cheap and frequent buses from the second class bus station. Mitla is on this route. Teotitlan del Valle is famous for it's weavers. It is one of the best weaving centers in the western hemisphere. Two other villages do the famous painted wood carvings. There are several mezcal distilleries in the valley. Those are best done on a tour. In Oaxaca itself, a World Heritage site, there is a lot to do and see. It has some of the finest food in Mexico. Several museums. Don't miss the gold from the Monte Alban tomb. The pedestrian street leading up from the Zocalo has numerous shops, museums and open air art displays. You will miss the beach sounds like but there are plenty more in Mexico.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Oaxaca to P. Escondido - by bus?

I suggest you buy or find the Moon Guide to Oaxaca (it may be in your library) and read about the many cultural and historic attractions mentioned by others above. It will give you a good overview and then you can ask more specific questions about areas you find most attractive.

No ocean, but people watching from a cafe on the Zocolo is a great way to relax with a beer or margarita.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oaxaca to P. Escondido - by bus?

Thanks for the replies and suggestions and I will check the link. I did not expect to find a beach inland! Maybe a small lake or something like that. Hubby wont have a problem people watching from in town, and that's something I love to do anyway, I dont need the water.

This will be our 6th or 7th trip to Mexico, all of the others have been on the water, so this will be delightfully different, I'm sure. We are very much looking forward to it. Our friends who are there for 6 months will be a great resource but we also had planned some exploration on our own. None of us are typical tourists who want to shop til we drop or want to visit Starbucks. A laid back more authentic town is what we prefer. We made the mistake of going to Playa del Carmen one year and will never go to such a tourist trap again, it's just not for us.

We like to ride the local buses, no problems with collectivos or the second class bus. Day trips by bus to local towns and villages would be perfect for us.

Thanks for the help!

Funkynassau

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oaxaca to P. Escondido - by bus?

Wow this brewery sounds like a place for us to visit. My husband used to be a brewer in a local small brewery that actually backs onto our farm :-) Must install that pipeline I keep planning to do! Anyway, this would be an ideal place for us to visit and hope that the owner will let us in for a look around. Perhaps when he finds out my husband was a brewer he'll want to talk beer production and offer a tour! Thanks for the link!

Funkynassau in Ontario

8. Re: Oaxaca to P. Escondido - by bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 02, 2014