We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oaxaca city

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
oaxaca city

We are visiting Oaxaca City in December - a first look to see if we would like to move there for an extended time. Anyone familiar with the expat community - are there many full time expats? Thanks in advance.

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oaxaca city

There are as many expats living here as you could possibly want, in all probability. Upon your arrival, go by the Oaxaca Lending Library on Pino Suarez, west side, south of Llano park, and you'll understand what I mean. You can do volunteer work, join the bridge club, the garden club, a gay breakfast club (gay men, but I'm not sure about anything for lesbians) and I imagine a plethora of other clubs and ways to spend time within the expat community. And if there aren't enough here for you, there's always San Miguel de Allende. However, I have never understood why people move to Oaxaca on the basis of there being lots of expats. You life here would be much more culturally rich if you were to learn a modicum of Spanish (mine is not perfect by any stretch) and immerse yourself into local subcultures, in the city and certainly as importantly the environs. Just my two cents. Finally, on the suite101.com website you should find several articles about ways expats can get along here.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Edited: 2:10 pm, November 24, 2013
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: oaxaca city

Alvin is right on about the OLL; it is the center of much expat activity, particularly for those who moved to Oaxaca after retirement. Their website is:

Read through the site now to get a feeling for the range of activities. I think you can also sign up for their on-line newsletter.

To me one of the most inviting characteristic of the expat community is that both permanent and part-time (usually winter) residents have not gathered in an expat conclave. They live all over town--mostly in middle class areas--and integrate into the local community. They use the OLL and other organizations to get together not only for typical American activities that they miss (thanksgiving, 4th of July, bridge club), education about their new home, and access to books in English, but also to give to their adopted home, through community projects. Most expats work on learning sufficient Spanish to be able to live independently in the Mexican community.

If this sort of mix is attractive to you, you will find Oaxaca an ideal relocation venue.

3. Re: oaxaca city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 27, 2014