We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue fever risk?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Dengue fever risk?

For those who actually live in the area: Can you please help me put the dengue fever risk into perspective?

Our family will be in southern Mexico for a few months next summer, mostly in Oaxaca city but also traveling to the coast and to Chiapas. Recent news stories about a spike in cases following this year's rainy season are worrisome from where I sit, but I am not there. Do you know people who've come down with the Dengue virus, or who've developed the more serious dengue hemorrhagic fever? Do you actually notice the tell-tale black and white (Aedes aegypti) mosquitoes buzzing around among other mosquitoes? What precautions, if any, do *you* take? Is it bad enough that the government is taking steps to cut down on mosquito populations, and if so what is being done?

Thanks for your input!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,710 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue fever risk?

Äs one who had the dengue hemorrhagic fever, I will try to provide a little information. I was hospitalized for some days in Cozumel---and I can tell you, you don´t want it ! I understand the number of cases in Cozumel are up but, of course, they try to play it down.

As far as spotting that particular mosquito, I think it would be difficult. Actually I had never been prone to mosquito bites and have no idea when I was bitten. As to precautions, I can´t speak for your area but I know in Cozumel and surrounding areas, the government wages a constant battle and sprays continuously. But with all the standing water often in the area, its an uphill battle often much standing water.

As far as prevention, all I know to do is apply whatever protection works best for you.

Bernalillo, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue fever risk?

I recently made two three month trips to Mexico and stayed about half that time in Oaxaca City studying Spanish. My Spanish teacher caught Dengue in Oaxaca City during the summer months and warned me that during the rainy months Dengue is quite common.

Many years ago I contracted Dengue in Fiji and was very sick for about two weeks. This is serious disease which can totally debilitate your health.

I would advise anyone traveling in Mexico to use caution throughout the year. Sleep only in air conditioned rooms. Check your surroundings carefully. Standing water in flower pots or gardens will attract mosquitos. Block gaps under doors at night with towels after killing any mosquitos in your room. Wear long pants. Apply DEET every day. Use insecticide treated clothing available in the US in camping stores and on Amazon.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue fever risk?

With all due respect to the last poster, he is causing unnecessary, unwarranted and undue stress and doubts for prospective visitors to the city of Oaxaca. Only stay in an air conditioned room? 99% of the residents of Oaxaca, and likely more, do not have air conditioning. We who live in the city without A/C do not contract dengue. Dengue is not quite common in the city of Oaxaca. The poster makes it sound like 1% or more of residents contract the fever. Yes, every rainy season there are a few cases, or even several, but generally the ones who are afflicated are those who do not take reasonable precautions, such as simply not living around still, putrifying water during the hot and rainy season. Again with all due respect, painting Mexico with one stroke of the brush is uncalled for and simply wrong ("anyone travelling in Mexico"). Much of the country is dry throughout the year. Much of the country is at an elevation where mosquitos just do not thrive or even live, let alone the ones that can infect with the fever. And to put my comments in perspective, I do not rely on tourism to make a living, Whatever I do here is in the nature of hobbies, passions and helping travellers who want to visit Oaxaca to have a culturally rewarding experience. When I didn't think people should visit Oaxaca (i.e. in the latter half of 2006), I said so and appropriately qualified. Hopefully others who live here or have vacationed here during "dengue season" will reply to the post of Rob B. Remember, his post, the one and only on tripadvisor, was likely colored by his unfortunate Fiji experience and based on what one person with unknown qualifications and without providing statistics told him.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast; Mezcal Educational Excursions of Oaxaca

4. Re: Dengue fever risk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 19, 2015