We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for oaxaca and oaxacan coast travel advice for Aug.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for oaxaca and oaxacan coast travel advice for Aug.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Oaxaca for our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary in August. This is our first trip to Mexico. Obviously, time is growing short so I need to make some plans here pretty quickly. Both of us are very much beach people so we want to spend as much time on the coast as possible...but from what I have read Oaxaca City appears to be something that we should not miss. Here's an itinerary I had in mind--for those of you in the know, does this make any sense?

1. Fly into Oaxaca, arrive in the morning, spend evening at a hotel.

2. Depart next day by air to Puerto Escondido.

3. Spend 3 days in Puerto Escondido {looking for a nice hotel/condo/bungalow--Santa Fe?)

4. Depart PE for Puerto Angel. Spend 3-4 days Puerto Angel. From what I can see accomodations seem a little rougher, more rustic, but the apparent laid back vibe is very attractive to us.

5. Depart Puerto Angel and either return to PE for 1-2 days before flight home or head south toward Huatulco--though the kind of artificial, all-inclusive type of thing is really of no interest to us.

Does this sound doable? Also a couple of specific questions that have probably been posted a million times-

How rainy is the rainy season in August, i.e., dependable strong, but brief shower, or good chance for being rained out the entire week?

Any good recommendations for accomodations in Oaxaca, PE, Puerto Angel, Zipolite, Mazunte?

Thanks for any help you can offer...

san diego
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for oaxaca and oaxacan coast travel advice for Aug.

I just got back from two weeks in the areas you are talking about.

In Puerto Escondido we stayed on Zicatela Beach (?) it is mainly a surfer/boogie boarder beach. Very nice beach, we stayed at the Arco Iris which is directly across the street from the beach. No hotels are directly on the beach all are across the street. Arco Iris is not fancy but great location, you hear the wave all night and a lot of the rooms look directly out at the surf breaking on the beach. The rooms were about $70 USD/night. The Santa Fe is the class spot on Zicatela beach, very nice, that would be my first choice if you want more than just basic room. The restaurant at Arco Iris is great the view of the beach and food is good. It also has an internet room if that interests you.

Puerto Angel did not seem like a place you will not want to stay at, it is very rustic, but not in a good way. We drove through walked on the beach had a drink and left.

I would highly recommend you spend all your extra time in Huatulco it is beautiful. We stayed at the Las Brisas, (previously Club Med) it is a beauitful property. Three great beaches on this property and the grounds feel like a bird aviary, it is not all-inclusive. The little town of Las Crucitas (?) is a great place to go eat if you don't want to eat at the hotel. We ate almost all lunches and dinners there. The snorkeling in Huatulco is great and they have tours of the nine Bays of Huatulco. We did not have time but hear that was the thing to do. The real class spot in Huatulco appeared to be Quinta Real, very romantic and exclusive.

When we were in Oaxaca the teachers were striking in the Zocolo which made going there more of a political event rather than relaxation. The Santo Domingo church and Monte Alban were interesting. We all liked Huatulco the best.

Good Luck

Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for oaxaca and oaxacan coast travel advice for Aug.

Thanks for the info...very helpful! We've been reading about the teacher's strike on this site and others on the web...sort of ironic, my wife is a teacher, and is on the negotiating team for the new contract. Maybe she can pick up a couple of pointers while we're there!

You mention Puerto Angel is rustic,but not in a good way. How so? We, well maybe more me, are not opposed to off the beaten track, third worldish kind of stuff...actually that is part of what I am looking for, for at least a part of this trip. A few years ago we took a trip to Jamaica, and while our base was Negril (which we absolutely loved) one of our favorite parts of the trip was hanging in a "yard" with some Rastas in the mountains. One thing my wife would like--I guess maybe more of a requirement, is a private rather than shared bathroom.....reasonably clean...and running water---although on a trip to eastern Europe shortly after the fall of Communism toilets pretty much consisted of of holes in the ground. I guess what I am saying is that creature comforts aren't necessarily the most important thing, but very appreciated where we can get them--more important, at least for this leg of the trip is to soak up a little culture. However, if your reference to not in a good way refers to danger, that is something that I would want to concern myself with.

In regard to Huatulca, when I first thought of Mexico the area really appealed to me ocean, mountain backdrop...but are there any accomodations there besides megaresorts?

Again, thanks for your insight...

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for oaxaca and oaxacan coast travel advice for Aug.

In Puerto Escondido try Villas Carrizalillo. Owned by nice American couple in their 30's, only 10 units on Playa Carrizalillo so away from the Zicatela Hubub but 20 pseos by taxi to Zicatela and everywhere else in town. It's own beach is somewhat secluded and the safest beach for swimming. They have the only private access to Playa C. They're a short walk (five min. from several good restaurants. They're know for their sunsets, pleasant bar atmosphere in the evenings, etc. In Huatulco while there are several fancy places with all inclusives, towards the north end there are hotels for about $60 - 75 across the road from the beach that are nice and clean. Good dining on the beach, and the town has a mall with movies, restaruants, and other stuff going on in the town. If you want to get to know Oaxaca, one day won't do. I can email you a 3 day jaunt from Huatulco or Puerto to Oaxaca, leaving the coast Friday and being back on the beach Monday, that takes in almost all the sites and towns, designed specifically for this kind of trip with limited time desired away from the beach. I don't see the advantage of going to three destinations on the coast. Why not stay in Puerto, and use it as your base for day trips along the coast and the Oaxaca leg of the vacation. There are lots of vacancies this year in Oaxaca, so you have the luxury of choosing. Our B & B is fortunate that we're booked for almost all of the summer already. You shouldn't be too concerned about waiting a bit in my opinion before booking, especially if it's in a large place. Tourism related businesses are all crying because of the strike, but you should have no satety concerns. I would recommend against staying within a 2 - 3 block radius of the zócalo even though the disruptions may end by August. No need to be that close anyway. Staying 4 or more blocks from the zócalo has no disadvantages and the advantage of being calm in case the teachers continue. The main disruption regarding August rains would be the travel to and from the coast over the mountains, if by car or bus. Good luck. Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast.

Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for oaxaca and oaxacan coast travel advice for Aug.

Thank you so much for the information. We booked our flight this morning--8/2-8/11. Tagged on an extra day which I think we may spend in Oaxaca. I viewed the website for Casa Machaya--it looks spectacular! While you mention that you are fairly booked for the summer, I am wondering if you do have any availability for the 2 nights 8/2 and 8/3. Thanks also for guiding us to Villas Carrizalillo--from what it looks like it is exactly what I had in mind. Finalizing the lodging for our itinerary--hope to talk to you soon, al alsaulys@yahoo.com

san diego
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for oaxaca and oaxacan coast travel advice for Aug.

No, I did not feel any concern for my safety in Puerto Angel. It was not as nice a beach as Puerto Escondido, the restaurants did not seem as nice and I don't really remember any Zocolo area to walk to after dinner. It just seemed to me that both Puerto Escondido and Huatulco had more to offer. This is all based on about 1 hour of being in the town as we drove through to Huatulco. We did not have pre-set reservations and had a car so we would have stayed at Puerto Angel at least one night if we had seen something that appealed to us, but we didn't. There could be other things to do there that I did not see, let us know if you go there and find it has something else to offer that we missed.

Good Luck

6. Re: Looking for oaxaca and oaxacan coast travel advice for Aug.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 13, 2009