We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oaxaca teachers strike - insight from a resident

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Oaxaca teachers strike - insight from a resident

I just returned from the zócalo about 6 pm today and can provide insight. I drove downtown so that readers would not have to rely on second or third hand hearsy. A relatively small number of protesters are in the zócalo, and set up in all directions for about a block in each direction, more or less, most with or under their tarps. All is peaceful. They are not disturbing anyone. The city doesn't show as it should, obviously, with still some papers and a bit of garbage strewn about, but nothing really horrible. The worst thing is the graffiti on the walls of historic buildings, banks, private businesses, etc. The guests at our B & B are still able to enjoy the city, although I do encourage them to get out to the villages where all is 100% calm and unaffected. It's still a bit disconcerting and at times inconvenient spending all one's time downtown, whereas under normal circumstances you can easily spend you entire vacation without leaving the city because of its vibrancy, magic, etc. However, while it's always advisable to get out into the countryside, now it has an added function, being to give travelers a respite from the downtown area. Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast.

Panama City,FL
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Oaxaca teachers strike - insight from a resident

Casa Conzatti is a great choice. We have stayed there many times and have always enjoyed it. the location is great-two minutes to Santo Domingo-and maybe 10 to the zocalo. Peolpe are friendly and it's in a quiet area. On Fridays there is a weekly market mainly for locals-try the tacos from Los Sombrerudos-sabrosos.

The restaurant is okay and on Thursday,Fridays and saturdays they usually have some music-a guitar player.

I recommend it highly if you don't mind a smaller place with personal attention,local charm and "tranquilidad" Pablito

San Antonio
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Oaxaca teachers strike - insight from a resident

!Gracias Pablito!

Hijo de Juan

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Oaxaca teachers strike - insight from a resident

Casa Conzatti, if it's the same as Hotel Conzatti, is a lovely hotel at the north end of downtown. It's on a park where there's a vibrant Friday market. One issue I can see is that word on the street is that soon extensive renovations will be started on the park which would make staying in the Casa not as quiet and comfortable as is usually the case. The government is generally hush hush about the commencement of public works projects, so one never knows. Write to the hotel and get an assurance in writing that during your stay work will not commence, so you'll have recourse if that's not the case. Good luck. Casa Machaya.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Oaxaca teachers strike - insight from a resident

Titosarah,

Can you or anyone else help? When do they begin the road/park/construction work? My stay begins on the 22nd.

Thanks.

Hijo de Juan

Oaxaca
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Oaxaca teachers strike - insight from a resident

They are still working in Llano Park, a few blocks away, and I would not anticipate that work would start on Conzatti Park till it finishes at Llano. But, I've been wrong before. If the work starts, it won't be noisy or disruptive. It will mostly involve stone work being done by hand and is actually rather interesting.

Sanibel, Florida
Level Contributor
199 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Oaxaca teachers strike - insight from a resident

An AParticle in our July 22nd newspaper datelined Oaxaca reports protestors are smashing windows in small hotels, making tourists show id, spraypainting revolutionary slogans and police are nowhere in sight. They also state that tourism is down by 75%. "There were people with masks and sticks breaking the auditorium windows and setting the building on fire". They've canceled Guelaguetza!! Can anyone tell us back in the US what really is happening at the moment. We all love Oaxaca and look forward to many return visits. Is it only going to get worse? Is this going to happen in our other favorite mountain towns? Que Lastima!

Rumba

Oaxaca
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Oaxaca teachers strike - insight from a resident

I assume the article was the one from the NYT. I live downtown in Oaxaca. I've not been asked for ID. I've not been denied access to any shop or hotel. Three hotels were blockaded for a couple of hours one day but I didn't happen to need to go to either.

The trash, graffiti, and general nonsense is a pain. It's not a teachers' strike any longer, as the picture of Stalin in the zocalo would indicate, but while it's a nuisance I have not felt unsafe.

IMO, there are better times to visit Oaxaca but, for me, it's still Oaxaca.

Allen, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Oaxaca teachers strike - insight from a resident

My family and I just returned from a 10 day trip to Oaxaca. Yes, there are still striking teachers in the zocalo and yes there is grafitti on the walls of the buildings, but we never once felt threatened. All of the people we met there - including some of the protesters, were very polite to us.

As we were leaving in the predawn hours to catch our flight back to the United States, a group of men even moved the metal barricades for us so we could pass through. I would go back again in a heartbeat.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Oaxaca teachers strike - insight from a resident

jptk,

Thanks for the notes re: the parks. By the time I received your message we were well on our way to Oaxaca. We had a wonderul trip.

You were/are correct. The Conzatti Garden park is not being worked on, but Llano (1.5 blocks away ) is.

Had the chance to mix with the "comunistas," in the Zocalo, and, of course, all of the other wonderful adventures in and around Oaxaca City.

Thanks Again.

Hijo de Juan

20. Re: Oaxaca teachers strike - insight from a resident

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 16, 2009