We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido? Overnight Bus a good option?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
driggs
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido? Overnight Bus a good option?

My husband and I are flying into Oaxaca in ten days for two weeks. We plan to leave the city after a few days and spend six days in Puerto Escondido and four days in Puerto Angel. We are thinking about taking the first-class bus(UNO?) overnight both directions, both to save on hotels and to make sure we don't miss any valuable days on travel time. Is this a good option? We are relatively young and tough, but I do get motion sickness...

Also, should this be booked in advance?

Thanks!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido? Overnight Bus a good option?

It's 10 hours by bus on OCC or around 6 hours by shared van (over the mountains, only in daytime). Or an hour flying but that costs at least 100 USD each way. No need to pre-book the bus.

ny
Level Contributor
8 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido? Overnight Bus a good option?

If you take the bus on the road to puerto angel which is not really the safest place to be but if you are street smart and have a bit of Spanish under your belt it is a do. You should plan to spend a night in the mountain village of Sa Jose Del Pasifico. You will meet very interesting people and have the change to safely try some very interesting Kesian flora. I give you a new perspective if you catch my drift. Puerto Escondido is safer but in either case you don't walk the beaches at night alone. The roads are better than they were when I made the trip in 1976 and because of the pot holes wound up with raging diarrhea for a day. The bus drivers have better roads today and the roads are verrrry curvy so if road sickness is a factor then you'll have to factor it in. If beach is your thing See Oaxaca by all means spend a bit of extra time there. Have a taxi take you to spend a night in San Jose del pacifico. And th either continue down but go to Huatuluco instead. It's safer

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido? Overnight Bus a good option?

Just to clarify - the first-class bus does not go directly over the mountains and therefore San Jose Pacifico is not on the bus route. The shared vans DO go directly which is why they are quicker.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido? Overnight Bus a good option?

Book once you get to Oaxaca. Take along dramamine (gravol) or something similar, and pop it about 50 minutes into the drive, regardless of which highway, and regardless of van or bus. UNO no longer exists, so it's ADO regular, GL or Platino (the website will tell you which bus does the route). No point in using a taxi to SJ del Pacífico since if going by van it's roughly equi-distant. You can get off there and spend the night (Puesta del Sol) and ask the approximate time the next van will be there the next day to pick you up. There are several van services, so ask your Oaxaca accommodations for which one they recommend. I tend to recommend the one at Arista 107 (that block in any event). Book seats near the front. Accordingly, booking a day or two in advance will assist with preferred seating.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Somerville, Davis...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido? Overnight Bus a good option?

Take the Aero Tucan plane for $100.00 each. It's a 35 minute flight !

Why spend 6 to 10 hours on a (vomit comet) bus when you have a

short time @ Puerto Escondido.

driggs
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido? Overnight Bus a good option?

Thanks so much for all of your input! Unfortunately, flying is not an option, due to cost, which is why we were hoping to do our traveling overnight... So, if we take the ADO bus(probably Platino) at night, around the mtns, is it relatively safe? Has anyone done this? We appreciate your info! Thanks!

ZN
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido? Overnight Bus a good option?

Have you booked your Puerto Escondido accomodations yet?

driggs
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido? Overnight Bus a good option?

Yes, we have tentatively booked online, but haven't paid a deposit or anything. I am not counting on it, as I have no idea if pre-booking like that can be relied on(since the hotel has no guarantee from us). We are also booked(same, no deposit) in Zipolite for a few days. We are open to being flexible, but my husband wants to have A LOT of down time on the beach, not travel around too much.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido? Overnight Bus a good option?

Yes, it is relatively safe taking the bus. I have never heard of an incident along that particular stretch of the route, and in the past 22 years I have only heard of one bus robbery between Chiapas and Huatulco (no safety issue and not that part of the route), and one accident relatively close to Oaxaca of a bus en route from Mexico City to Huatulco ... probably not along the route you would be taking, but who knows. The odds are in your favor. The first class bus system in Mexico has a stellar reputation generally speaking.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

driggs
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido? Overnight Bus a good option?

Thanks for all of your great information. We look forward to our visit!