We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blockade on March 4th and 5th??!?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Blockade on March 4th and 5th??!?

Any word on what action the teachers are planning to take in Oaxaca City? My flight leaves on Tuesday morning from Benito Juarez Airport. I heard they blocked the airport last June.

Edited: 4:33 pm, March 03, 2013
jax beach, florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blockade on March 4th and 5th??!?

I,m arriving OAX airport Tuesday evening....and will be staying in Centro. Any information would be appreciated.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blockade on March 4th and 5th??!?

Starting at 9AM today (Monday), roads in and out of the city and to the airport will be blocked for an indeterminate amount of time. No word yet for what happens on Tuesday.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Blockade on March 4th and 5th??!?

There is no way to predict what will happen when the teachers decide to block the streets. However, normally, these bloques are only in the daytime and are across major roads. This pushes the traffic into side streets where it backs up and moves slowly, so it takes much longer to get where you want to go, but doesn't usually prevent you from getting there if the driver knows what he is doing.

The van drivers at the airport will know how to get around the bloques and get you into the city; it will just involve sitting in traffic a lot. If your flight arrives after dark, the block may already be lifted for the night.

For your morning flight out, I suggest you leave early so you can get to the airport before the bloques go up. Your hotel should be able to give you advice on how early to leave. Again the taxi driver will know how to get around any bloques if they are there. If you arrive very early, there is a nice restaurant for breakfast over in the arrivals section (go there before you go through security). They are renovating the airport so check; the restaurant may have moved somewhere else since January.

But again, read the first sentence of this answer: no guarantees!

4. Re: Blockade on March 4th and 5th??!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 06, 2014