We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oaxaca Weather

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mimbres, New Mexico
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oaxaca Weather

I am looking at the forecast for the next 10 days, mid Feb and forecast is calling for mid to high 80's and a few 90's. Can this be right. I didn't think it got so hot up there and I am trying to figure out what to pack.

Any help is appreciated. I will be there from Mar 1-7

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oaxaca Weather

I would say in the high 20s (we use centigrade here) to mid 30s. The cool season has left us, and it's starting to get warmer, a bit earlier than in the past few years. One long sleeve shirt and a light jacket for evenings should do it, and the rest cotton summer clothing. If you are planning to spend any time higher up in the mountains, then make the jacket a light autumn jacket by northern USA standards. You probably won't need any warm clothing, but we do get the odd cool evening, still, though by the end of February it will be unlikely.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Mimbres, New Mexico
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Oaxaca Weather

Thanks for the update, what is the elevation in the city

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Oaxaca Weather

Oaxaca City is about 5000 feet. The mountians you are likely to visit would be a couple thousand feet higher. We are much closer to the equator here and the sun is more direct; afternoons can be very hot, but not humid. Hence, a long-sleeve light blouse, hats and sunscreen are needed by the sun sensitive.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oaxaca Weather

Hi Catherine,

Yes, it can get that hot in the city especially during March/April/May. Thankfully the humidity is fairly low until rainy season which usually begins in June. That said, you'll notice that the sidewalk on the shady side of the street is quite busy vs. the sunny side and that people do stay in during mid day when the sun is the most intense and during the break between 2-4 (my time for a nap!).

I'll be returning to Oaxaca that same week after a couple months on the Treasure Coast of Florida where I'm not enjoying the humidity! Enjoy the city and don't forget to get out into some of the smaller cities/towns of the state.

Enjoy! Mary

Mimbres, New Mexico
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Oaxaca Weather

Hi Mary, Thanks for your response. Maybe midday is the time to go into the big churches. I'm sure this has been posted but what are your suggestions for "must do" I want to spend most of my time hanging out with the ladies in town but would like to do a few day trips. It will be my first time in the city but not my last.

Cheers

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oaxaca Weather

Good morning Catherine, Sorry for the delay in response. Great idea on being in the churches during the warmer hours of the day. Since there's one on almost every corner -- some of my favorites are Soledad (stop for a cold dish of nieves in the little park immediately adjacent on the east side), Carmen Alta, and, of course, Sto. Domingo de Gúzman. The giant Sto. Domingo complex is also home to the Jardín Etnobotanico (tours in English and Spanish - stop at the gate at the corner of Reforma y Constitución for times & prices) and the amazing museum which also has a great museum shop/bookstore. Simply spending time people watching in the parks (El Llano y Parque Conzatti) or on the Zócalo while sitting in the shade with an ice cream or gelato (gelato shop just around the corner on the east end of the hotel on the north side of the Zócalo). Artisan shops that carry only goods made by Oaxaqueños include the co-operative just north of Carmen Alta and another co-operative group a couple blocks south of Carmen Alta both on Garcia Vigil (my brain is not recalling either name or cross street right now). The entrance to the first is on a raised sidewalk just before los arcos; the second usually has the giant manikins(sp?) called monos in front on the cross street. Another is smaller and less organized but great - lots of alebrijes at the entrance; woven/needlework goods in the courtyard -- just west of the corner of 5 de Mayo on Abasolo; you may encounter Aurelia(sp?) a tiny Zapoteca with such sparkly eyes and quite proud of her language skills. (Some of the vendors in the many tents on the north side of the Alemeda in front of the Catedral (also a great church) bring in mass produced stuff from Chiapas... .) Tons of galleries and museums; some free/some with entrance fees. Some of my favorites are the Stamp Museum on Reforma just north of Constitución (good gift shop) and the Textile Museum on Hidalgo y Fiallo. The new San Pablo complex between Independencía y Hidalgo immediately adjacent to the Textile Museum is wonderfully calming. The cafe at the Hidalgo entrance has good price on small lunch sandwiches; the restaurant on the Independencía has some well priced and some higher priced breakfast/lunch/dinner. Food: Oh my! I generally stay away from the well- reviewed-by-other-gringos places because they're usually over priced although have had some memorable meals. Posole at Gran Torta on Profirio Diaz (east side of the 600 block). Tortas at the Hormigas food trailer at Conzatti Park. Really good (and safe) salads at Cafe Arabia (Reforma y Jacobo de la Vuelta by Conzatti Park). Best ever espresso and some very good flan at Cafe Antigua (Reforma y Abasolo). General dining: Quince Letras on Abasolo. Great breakfast at the little cafe on the south side of Hidalgo between Manuel Doblado y Xícotencatl. Don't be afraid of the many places offering comida corrida; usually a quick lighter lunch type meal for under $50MXN. I generally use the if-they're-busy-everyday rule and don't patronize those where I rarely see anyone eating there. Other shopping: again -- Oh my! on the east side of calle 5 de Mayo north of the Quinta Real before the Sto. Domingo complex: weavers, mostly tapetes y rugs, at Fe y Loyola(I think that's the name - it's in a small collection of shops) and another with great cotton tablecloths, napkins, huipils -- . Of course, there are the outlying towns and villages that have amazing artists/artisans/crafts/food/markets... . Would love to hear how your trip is going/went. Message me here if you'd like to correspond outside of TripAd. Have fun!

Mimbres, New Mexico
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Oaxaca Weather

You are a gem. I am printing your suggestions and will carry them with me and yes if I need to I will contact you. I am very interested in people watching and expect that will be my main occupation oh and yes eating the wonderful food.

8. Re: Oaxaca Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 22, 2014