We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drove car to MX, but want to take bus to Guatemala

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Drove car to MX, but want to take bus to Guatemala

I drove my car to Mexico from Canada and got my sticker and car insurance at the Mexican border. I would like to take a bus trip to Guatemala. Can I leave my car in Mexico for a month while I tour Guatemala?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,314 posts
75 reviews
1. Re: Drove car to MX, but want to take bus to Guatemala

From what I've read, not without paying a whopper import duty on the car.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
2. Re: Drove car to MX, but want to take bus to Guatemala

From what I have read also, you and the car both must leave Mexico at the same time. The consequences of not doing so are serious so you would be best advised to consult the Mexican Immigration office or Canadian consul or embassy to find what the exact requirements are for Canadian citizens --they may be different from those for US citizens.

Veracruz, Mexico
1 post
2 reviews
3. Re: Drove car to MX, but want to take bus to Guatemala

Hi Melvin,

I'm in the same boat as you were, did you find out what the requirements were for leaving your car temporarily in Mexico?

4. Re: Drove car to MX, but want to take bus to Guatemala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, May 01, 2014