We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stopover between Veracruz and Oaxaca

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Topic
stopover between Veracruz and Oaxaca

Hi,

Does anyone know whether there is a town/village between Veracruz and Oaxaca that's worth a visit? The reason is I try to break the 7-hr (?) bus ride between the two cities.

Thanks!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stopover between Veracruz and Oaxaca

You have already found Tlacotalpan I see; it's a World Heritage site. It's not on the main route between Veracruz and Oaxaca. See my other posting for details.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stopover between Veracruz and Oaxaca

Córdoba is steeped in history and would make a nice break. Huatusco has the Bambuver bamboo forests and construction facilities and offers a nice tour if you book it in advance. I've written a little about the route and the touring offered, in articles somewhere on the internet. I believe some articles are on the suite101.com website, others I think on oaxacadream.com or ezinearticles.com, etc. Another option is to go out of your way and go to Puebla of course, and then from Puebla head straight to Veracruz. But I think Córdoba provides the most diverse touring opportunities for a one day break if you don't want to go out of your way. Check online sources to see what interests you the most. Orizaba is another option, and offers hiking excursions up to the "pico."

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: stopover between Veracruz and Oaxaca

Thanks, both! As I will actually come from Puebla all the way to Veracruz, I think it's better to take the southern route to Oaxaca (i.e via Tlacotalpan)...

4. Re: stopover between Veracruz and Oaxaca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, January 06, 2014