We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 and a half weeks in oaxaca?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vernon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
91 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
2 and a half weeks in oaxaca?

I'm planning a Spanish language immersion trip for 2 and 1/2 weeks and was considering oaxaca as a choice of places to study. Would oaxaca be a destination that would keep a person entertained for that long? I was kind of concerned about being bored since its the slow season in may and there wont be many other people at the schools. Im looking to make the most of my time learning spanish so im not really looking to be out partying. How about the weather in may? Are there alot of Mosquitos at that time of year? I hear there is a risk of malaria. I was also thinking about going to san miguel or guanajuato as an alternative. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 and a half weeks in oaxaca?

Virtually no risk of malaria. You will be inland, in the dry season, though hot as in 35 - 40 degrees. The mosquitos don't generally begin until you're well into the rainy season, and even then they are not much of a nuisance compared for example to summertime in the upper USA and southern and central Canada. You will definitely not be bored, guaranteed. I've been coming here regularly since 91, and have been a permanent resident since 2004, and still have not explored the entire state, though my knowledge of the central valleys is pretty good. You can spend at least three full days touring the central valley sites without duplication of anything, there are several museums downtown, art galleries abound, etc, etc, etc. If you email me at oaxacadream@hotmail.com I can send you several touring routes that if you decide to do using buses, would take you over a week to complete, probably much longer, and even then you will have only touched the surface. There are the ecotourism villages in the mountains, the craft villages, at least a dozen ruins easily accessible, nature sites, exquisite churches, and the list goes on. The time of year has nothing to do with ensuring there is enough to keep you enthralled. However, a bonus is that the Humanitas festival occurs in May, so you may be here for that series of events.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Edited: 1:40 am, December 30, 2012
Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 and a half weeks in oaxaca?

Magic Spanish school was recommended to us.

Cochrane, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 and a half weeks in oaxaca?

There is a great Spanish teacher in Zipolite, Oaxaca. Very cool place. It is quite humid in May.

Mentioned in this post
Zipolite
Zipolite
Oaxaca, Mexico
4. Re: 2 and a half weeks in oaxaca?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 25, 2014