We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cooking class in Spanish

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Millersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
cooking class in Spanish

Four of us will be in Oaxaca soon and would like to take a cooking class in Spanish. I contacted Pilar at Casa de los Sabores but her assistant said they are only doing classes in English at this time. Our hotel suggested Casa Crespo so I contacted them but so far haven´t heard back. Nora at Alma de mi Tierra is a possibility. We would love to find someone who would take us to the market and then work with us to prepare some traditional dishes. We are all Spanish students so definitely do not want to take a class in English. Any other suggestions? Gracias!

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: cooking class in Spanish

Contact Chef Pilar again. I'm reasonably certain that for a group of four she'd do it in Spanish, if you reserve a special date. Just say you want a private class for a group of four, in Spanish, and as long as she has available dates while you're visiting, I'm pretty sure she'll accommodate you. Tell her assistant that I recommended she do it if there's any issue. Alternatively, if the group is mixed English and Spanish speaking, I know from personal experience she does classes in both languages. In the further alternative, try Reyna Mendoza in Teototilán del Valle. Wonderful person, with either Spanish or Zapoteco her first language.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: cooking class in Spanish

Contact Chef Pilar again. I'm reasonably certain that for a group of four she'd do it in Spanish, if you reserve a special date. Just say you want a private class for a group of four, in Spanish, and as long as she has available dates while you're visiting, I'm pretty sure she'll accommodate you. Alternatively, if the group is mixed English and Spanish speaking, I know from personal experience she does classes in both languages. In the further alternative, try Reyna Mendoza in Teototilán del Valle. Wonderful person, with either Spanish or Zapoteco her first language.

Edited: 10:27 am, March 11, 2012
Millersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: cooking class in Spanish

Thanks, I´ll contact Pilar again and try Reyna if needed.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
355 posts
1 review
4. Re: cooking class in Spanish

You say you are Spanish students, but it is not clear if you will be taking Spanish lessons in Oaxaca. If so, the Spanish schools usually offer add-ons such as cooking classes. Even if yours doesn't, they should be able to help you find someone, if you cannot work something out with Pilar. Although, from everything I have heard, Pilar would be the first choice.

Millersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: cooking class in Spanish

We are a group of friends who meet online to speak Spanish and occasionally travel together to practice and improve our skills. Our goal is to speak only Spanish during our trip. We are not going to be studying formally in Oaxaca but do want to experience the local culture and cuisine. Unfortunately, Pilar is not available for a class in Spanish the week we are going to be there. We may check with one of the schools for suggestions. We want to keep it at $70 per person or less.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
91 reviews
6. Re: cooking class in Spanish

Here's where you can contact Reyna, and once again feel free to use my name if you are so inclined:

cookingclasseselsaborzapoteco.blogspot.com/

Nothing but positive feedback about her, and in your case since the class will be in Spanish, she'll shine even more.

Millersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: cooking class in Spanish

Gracias Alvin, I sent her an email.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,348 posts
91 reviews
8. Re: cooking class in Spanish

Sorry I got here late to this discussion. I'll gladly give a mention for a wonderful woman who runs a cooking school right from her beautiful "mexi-style" kitchen in Oaxaca, calle Yagul. Her name is Socorro Pinello and her school is La Cocina Oaxaqueña. Everything is just as you would want...family members helping out...trips to the market to buy all the ingredients...hands-on experience in cooking, culture, language, etc. Howevr you'd like to do it, she will oblige - with warmth, humor, and enthusiasm. She can be reached at "sopinelo@hotmail.com" and has a website at "www.cooking.com.mx". And after doing a 2-week homestay there, I know firsthand that she's a warm, outgoing person who really really knows how to cook. It will be an excellent experience...

Millersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: cooking class in Spanish

We spent a truly wonderful day with Reyna in her tranquil outdoor kitchen. Everything was perfect, from our trip the the market for fresh herbs and other ingredients, to the experience of using the metate to grind the seeds, herbs and chilis for pepian, to preparing the squash blossom soup, to eating everything in a relaxing and peaceful setting. Five stars! I highly recommend her class! Thanks, Alvin.

Millersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: cooking class in Spanish

We spent a truly wonderful day with Reyna in her tranquil outdoor kitchen. Everything was perfect, from our trip the the market for fresh herbs and other ingredients, to the experience of using the metate to grind the seeds, herbs and chilis for pepian, to preparing the squash blossom soup, to eating everything in a relaxing and peaceful setting. Five stars! I highly recommend her class! Thanks, Alvin.

Edited: 9:19 pm, March 21, 2012