We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carlos Hernandez, taxista and tour guide

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Carlos Hernandez, taxista and tour guide

My family and I have been living in Oaxaca for five years and, when we find ourselves in need of a guide for visitors seeking the insider experience from a Oaxaqueno, we call on Carlos.

He handles everything, from the simple rides to the airport to the back-country journeys through mountain villages. Where he really stands out is his service--he has hauled his taxi full of families with toddlers as well as helping my wheelchair-bound friends to access some of Oaxaca's more challenging spots. And he always knows where to stop for the freshest, best street food and market stalls!

Here is his contact information:

Carlos Hernandez: cel 951-126-9254.

Saludos,

Serena

Boulder, CO
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Carlos Hernandez, taxista and tour guide

When I saw this post, I just had to respond!

My family of 4 recently lived in Oaxaca for a year, depending on public transportation since we had no car of our own. Though we had many experiences with different drivers and guides, Carlos stood out far and above the rest.

Throughout the year we had 8 sets of visitors also relying on Carlos during their stays. They were thrilled with his recommendations and service and each one conveyed what a gem he was to have found in this enchanting place. Even friends who had lived there longer than us were amazed at what he had introduced to us in the time we were there.

As a mother traveling with 2 young children (ages 5 and 9 when we lived there) safety was of particular concern. We had other scary rides in Oaxaca, but I always felt completely at ease and safe with Carlos at the wheel. Carlos is trustworthy, genuinely respectful of others, thoughtful of our needs, and kind.

Our fabulous year-long experience in Oaxaca wouldn't have been nearly the same without his insider's guidance, wisdom, experience and help. I can't recommend him highly enough!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
202 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carlos Hernandez, taxista and tour guide

Hello

I just saw this post. Do you have an email address for Carlos?

Thanks

Anne

Boulder, CO
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Carlos Hernandez, taxista and tour guide

HI, you've chosen a great guide and taxista. If you want to plan things in advance, his email is litosamd@hotmail.com

Best of trips to you!

Heather

Edited: 9:21 pm, February 12, 2012
Boulder, CO
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carlos Hernandez, taxista and tour guide

OK - I was one of the 8 families visiting Oaxaca and Carlos drove us everywhere. He is an amazing tour guide! His English is excellent, he is very knowledgable about the area and very patient with all of our questions, our slow paced travel and our sometimes irritable children. He has kids as well and definately understands travelling with a family.

He is dependable - always arriving at our designated time to take us to our destination. He definately made us feel safe, whever we went. He would take us the most direct route and only charge us in the most honest way.

Whether working with Carlos as just a taxi driver - or taking advantage of his guiding abilities - you can't go wrong. I cannot speak highly enough of Carlos Hernandez.

Do yourself a favor and give him a call!

Palo Alto...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Carlos Hernandez, taxista and tour guide

Carlos also drove us and was our tour guide too. It was a great trip and we couldn't hope for a better taxista or guide.

Tim

Boulder, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Carlos Hernandez, taxista and tour guide

Carlos was a key part of the success of our weeklong visit to Oaxaca in 2010. We used him for at least 4 excursions to sites in and around the city. His knowledge, politeness, and reliability were outstanding!

Mark and Evelyn

Fort Wayne, Indiana
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Carlos Hernandez, taxista and tour guide

We used Carlos during our stay in Oaxaca and would recommend him in a heartbeat! He is very reliable, arriving on time, honest, courteous, and very helpful in planning what to do in the Oaxaca area. He is a genuinely wonderful person and taxista. Thumbs up for Carlos!

Boulder, CO
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carlos Hernandez, taxista and tour guide

I want to add my hearty recommendation of Carlos. He is so warm & friendly, and patient. He was very flexible in accommodating our requests and we could rely on him for wonderful restaurant recommendations no matter where we traveled in and around Oaxaca. I have traveled thoughout the world and I can say Carlos is at the top of the list as a knowledgeable and customer-oriented driver and guide.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carlos Hernandez, taxista and tour guide

Carlos also drove our family to various sites during our weeks in Oaxaca, and we loved him. He is kind, careful, very reliable, and knows more than all the other drivers combined about where to go, what to do and where to get great food. He even arranged our airport transport since that is limited to certain drivers and license types. I highly recommend him.

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Carlos Hernandez, taxista and tour guide

My family traveled to see my sister who was living in Oaxaca for a year (see Heather V posts). Our daughter was 7 at the time. By the time we visited, Carlos had become a trusted family friend and reliable ride. While I am not fluid in Spanish, his matching skillset level in English made communication pretty easy.

While there, we spent practically everyday with him as our tour guide. His picks for restaurants were really great and I consider myself a little bit of a foody! I totally deferred to him to do my ordering and was never disappointed! That was definitely a great part of the trip!

He took us to some really neat places and introduced us to some of his friends and aquaintances who had special talents with the products of the area so that we were able to experience some of the well known treasures but in off-the-beaten-path places.

While there, I lost my wedding rings. I knew they had to have dropped out of the car as I was often removing them when I got in the car to put on lotion. He spent the day with my sister and I helping us retrace all of the places we had visited the previous day (which was about 4 places and stops on the way and up to 1.5 hours away). When we located the engagement ring at the forest park exactly where we had parked (amazing!), he helped dredge through gravel and stones in an attempt to find the wedding band. His help was invaluable and he went far above and beyond being of service as a taxista.

Also, the windy mountain roads were a bit much on my daughter's stomach and Carlos paid close attention to how the kids were doing to make sure they were not overwhelmed with motion sickness.

Carlos was cautious and we felt totally safe with him - and if you have traveled around the area before, it seems that there are some not-so-safe drivers about. He really showcased the area for us and the food. He was a joy to spend time with and I was so pleased with his service, but more than that, his friendly, outgoing manner and just being a super nice guy!

I would highly recommend that if you are going to the area, you seek him out as your taxista and guide!!!!