We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good hotels on or near the Zocalo - help an Aussie couple...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Good hotels on or near the Zocalo - help an Aussie couple...

We will appreciate any advice from Oaxaca regulars as to a few good hotels that are close to the Zocalo, since walking long distances is a problem. We'd prefer smaller ones rather than big chain hotels.

Thanks

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good hotels on or near the Zocalo - help an Aussie couple...

I live in Oaxaca and operate a small B & B which is probably too far for you. However, a Oaxacan friend has a really nice quaint place with two spacious and clean rental units, about a 7 minute walk from the Zócalo. Email Oscar at info@go-oaxaca.com. Tell him Alvin referred you. www.oaxacadream.com Good luck and enjoy your visit.

Cedar Grove WI
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Good hotels on or near the Zocalo - help an Aussie couple...

If 5 blocks sounds workable for you, Casa del Sotano is a small, 22 room hotel. It appears very plain and small from the outside. Once inside, you'll find multiple levels surrounding a garden. We just returned 2 weeks ago and found it to be a nice location with a 360 degree view of the city from their rooftop patio. Our cost was $65/night which included a small continental breakfast and free internet in the lobby. Some Spanish will be helpful, but one of the desk clerks did speak English.

Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good hotels on or near the Zocalo - help an Aussie couple...

The Hotel Monte Alban is a block from the Zocalo. Most of their rooms are upstairs, but when I asked last December, they said they had a ground-floor room (if stairs

bother you)). Prices are relatively inexpensive and I've always been pleased to stay

there.

Mama Ocllo

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good hotels on or near the Zocalo - help an Aussie couple...

I stayed at Hotel Las Rosas for several days in December. About 45 dollars a night. Cute rooms, 24-hour staff available, great courtyard, breakfast in the morning and only about 1 block off the Zocalo.

Hotel Las Rosas

Trujano 112

Tel: 514-22-17

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good hotels on or near the Zocalo - help an Aussie couple...

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Gala de Oaxaca and would recommend it highly. We ended up there as a last minute change and the staff was very acommadating. The rooms were clean and bright, but most of all quiet. It's literally almost straddling the Zocala so you really can't get closer that it unless you want to start paying a lot of money. The only cautionary note I would add is that the hotel has no elevators so if you have concerns about climbing steps at that altitude, make sure to reserve something on the second or first floor. On the other hand you can think of it as training for Monte Alban!

chapel hill, NC
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good hotels on or near the Zocalo - help an Aussie couple...

We stayed at Casa de Sierrra Azul in May, it was wonderful! Lovely patio and great rooms. It was RIGHT withing walking distance of anything that you might want to do! I really do reccomed that. Just google it. It is a lovely building and you get get up on the roof and se the valley.

Muneca oll

7. Re: Good hotels on or near the Zocalo - help an Aussie couple...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, August 12, 2009