We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woman travelling solo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Woman travelling solo

I've already travelled to Pto Vallarta and its outlying areas without a problem and was wondering if Oaxaca is fairly safe for a single female. I'd like to visit the markets, museums and villages; nightlife would clearly be out of the question since I'd be alone.

Seattle
Level Contributor
49 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woman travelling solo

Oaxaca feels safe. I get the feeling that the machismo present in other parts of Mexico is not there so much. I have visited Oaxaca many times (just got back a few days ago), always with my partner (a guy), but have on occasion ventured out on my own, even after dark, and have never had the slightest problem. Dress conservatively. Depending on where you stay, the central core has lots of people in the evenings. Or if you're not staying in the central core, you could go out but take a taxi back to your hotel. Have a good time. Hardly any tourists in Oaxaca, so the hotels and restaurants will be overjoyed to see you.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woman travelling solo

Good advice from the last poster. But as subtly suggested, you can in fact go out in the evenings and enjoy the nightlife. But act in a prudent fashion no different than if out on the town in another strange North American city.. Just pick and choose where you go using common sense, and have the club, bar or restaurant staff get you a cab especially if you've been drinking. Safe places at night ("safe" is always a relative term) include some of the bars for young people on Alcalá and Murguia / Matamoros, listening to music weekend nights at El Paseo on Benito Juárez (a bit of an older crowd), the tapas bar above Mesón el Olivo at Murguia & Reforma, La Biznaga on Garcia Vigil for drinks at the bar or dinner alone, Los Danzantes for dinner, upstairs at La Olla on Reforma if they have live music or are running perhaps a tlayuda & beer special, La Jícara on Porfirio Díaz especially if there's live music, La Nueva Babel on Porfirio Díaz, etc. You'll find middle class locals, tourists and / or ex-pat residents at the foregoing.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Seattle
Level Contributor
49 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woman travelling solo

I should also add that the B&B where we stay usually has someone staying up to make sure we get in at night. We usually tell them roughly what time we'll be back.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Woman travelling solo

I agree with both posters. We spend three months each winter in Oaxaca and I feel safe both night and day within the guidelines they give. I am an older woman so I don't worry about someone trying to pick me up, but I do not think it is a problem if you are polite and send them on their way. Like Alvin says, use common sense.

Oaxacans come to the Zocolo in the evening, particularly on weekends for concerts and other entertainments. It is great for people watching. The atmosphere is very family-oriented and easy going. However, Oaxacans do go home early--by 9 pm the Zocolo is usually getting empty unless there is a special program.

The one caveat is do NOT go to the big Central Abastos Market south of Centro after dark. Mexican friends have warned us about theft there at night and do not go themselves. In fact the best time to go to the markets--even the Benito Juarez and 20 de Noviembre close to the Zocolo is late morning and early afternoon. Many booths close by evening and food is freshest in the morning.

Montana
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woman travelling solo

I have traveled alone to Oaxaca almost every year since 1986! I love to go on my own, I travel to the nearby villages, eat out and walk everywhere. I have even gone to the prison solo to buy handicrafts made by prisoners, but the red tape to visit is a pain now, so I have given up that ritual.

I usually meet someone else traveling alone at the hotel/ B&B I am staying at. Always fun to get to know someone from another part of the world. I take collectivo's to outlying villages. Buses are great too. I have hired a driver for the day, when I have a short amount of time and want to get it all in. Ask your hotel, they know someone who will take you around for a very reasonable price.

A stroll to the Zocalo at night is always nice, I have no fear for my safety, but I am watchful and don't stay out late if I plan to walk. Taxis are everywhere, and cheap, so catching one is very easy if you feel uncomfortable. Agree with staying away from Abastos anytime other than bright daylight. Also a little tricky to take the walk up to the amphitheater on your own, it is lonely up there for a single woman.

Have a fabulous trip!

6. Re: Woman travelling solo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 12, 2012