We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oaxaca Language schools

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Central Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Oaxaca Language schools

We are a 60 year old couple looking to attend a Spanish language school in Oxaca this fall. Any recommendations or warnings?

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

Many people aren't motivated to post until they have a really good or really bad experience. I really doubt this is a planted post -- if that's what the previous poster is implying -- it's too specific and detailed. Everyone has to have a first post at some point. Not to mention that the OP is asking for recommendations, so it's natural to give one.

Edited: 9:29 am, February 24, 2013
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

Ollin was favorably mentioned in a couple of forums. Have you heard anything about it? I liked Ollin's ties to the community, including volunteer projects. On the other hand, I think that organized field trips would be an advantage, and I'm not sure they include those. thanks.

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

I attended Becari language school for 2 weeks in March and was very happy with my experience. I waited until I arrived in Oaxaca to choose a school and visited several. I arranged to have grammar and conversation classes at Bacari for a day before signing up there. Sandra (the Director) was very flexible and the teachers I had were always well prepared and were excellent and obviously experienced at teaching Spanish.

Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

I spent two weeks at Becari in January and February this year. The teachers were absolutely wonderful, and the directors very helpful. The only issue was that there were no other objectively advanced students-the students in the advanced classes were advanced intermediate at best. Great people, but not a great situation for learning. As a result, they gave me one on one instruction, which was very well done. I would actually prefer the interaction of a class, so next time may try a larger school in the hopes of encountering a class of advanced students. But Becari was not a mistake, and I do recommend them.

25. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 pm, March 27, 2016
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
4 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

My daughter and I attended Becari M Bravo last summer & plan to return They have a wonderful location in the historic district. They are extremely friendly & flexible. They can also help you arrange a homestay & will also arrange for cooking classes, tours, and other activities. I've studied at various language schools in Latin America--and loved this small school with its excellent staff. Highly recommended!

1 post
Save Reply
27. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

I would NOT recommend Ollin School on Melchor Ocampo. They were deceptive with me. I thought I would be getting involved in a program that is rich in cultural activities as described on their website, especially regarding indiginous cultures, and that I would have contact with the founder, if not actual lessons from him. But none of that was available. The school had many opportunities to tell me that the founder was away when I planned to be there and that without him, every thing except one on one lessons was shut down. I appeared to have been the only student. They asked me what I expected in a form letter, which I filled out stating I was interested in their indiginous programs, and there were a great many email exchanges. So why didn´t they tell me I would not get what I was going for? Also, they tried to charge me for two extra days of homestay, days after I would be gone. All this with a friendly, disarming smile. I transferred to Spanish Magic and was consistently delighted by Maestra Fern.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

I just attended ICO Oaxaca and well... it sucks.

the school is far to rigid and structured it is just like being at a high school... given it is a school, yes but it is a language and cultural school first. in my opinion that should lead to a far more relaxed atmosphere incorporating far more local culture aspects of oaxaca and mexico, basically a family atmosphere is far more conjucive for learning than a strict university style. having studied at 2 different schools in 2 different cities in mexico, only 2 months before, i was extremely dissapointed with how boring and bland the place is. it just wasnt fun at all! the ONLY person who even remotely made it nice and pleasent to come to school was RYOKO the administator! she is awesome. the rest of the place and staff were, well just boring or rigid. its oaxaca and mexico! 2 of the greatest places in the world and thats how everyone acts!! its crazy! at both my other schools there was much much more of a family atmosphere and fun environment... maybe it is the size of the school and not the staff or maybe the staff are a prodcut of the size, but either way it just wasnt fun attending the ICO school. yes the classes were very good and i learnt alot but at my previous experiences the majorioty of my learning occured outside of the classroom in intercambio, the cultural activites or with other mexican students who were studying english there. the school lacked severly with all three; intecambio was actually painful. it wasnt fun, intersting or beneficial (its one on one)... a far better experience is gathering all students together going to a local cafe and talking next to the person next to yuo and then simply changing the conversation with another person when you feel, this way yuo actually make firends and can continue talking after class. but when yuou have a bell, a daily roster, cultural activites that arent outside the school, for example a musem trip, or city tour, or even simply street food in zocalo would be far better than basic salsa dancing in fornt of the school, and when you have an ASSIGNED intercambio you quickly realise this school isnt fun but boring and strict. not the kind of thing i would pay alot of money for, for a long time. at both my previous experiences i didnt want to leave the school, but at ICO once that BELL rang i left. finally the fact that i wasnt able to communicate this in person is also very poor. at my final day i was handed a certificate and told thankyou. there was no ceremony or congratulations or cake or even can i ask you a few things about the school or get you to fill out this quick survey... as i said the school is old fashioned, strict and boring the exact opposite atmosphere that when someone is paying alot of money for they find encoruaging and helpful to learn in.

Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
115 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

I recommend Spanish Magic since I know of several satisfied students who have returned there on subsequent trips for further study.

I'm also a firm believer in emersion...so whichever school you choose for classes try to find yourself an activity (whether music or dance lessons, art workshops...etc depending on your interests) where you can put to practice what you learn in class. It's really the best way to learn!

Best,

Mahsa - Journeys Beyond the Surface, Oaxaca

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1 post
52 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

I beg to differ. It is a larger school but not at ALL commercial. It has more students for a reason. It's an excellent learning facility, and the teachers and staff take your language progress very seriously. There is nothing commercial about the Instituto Cultural Oaxaca. It is simply larger, with slightly higher foot traffic.