We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oaxaca Language schools

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Central Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Oaxaca Language schools

We are a 60 year old couple looking to attend a Spanish language school in Oxaca this fall. Any recommendations or warnings?

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

Prospective students should also take note of the fact that Becari now has two branches, the one to which the last poster refers on M.Bravo, and towards the north end of downtown on Quintana Roo, with Martha at the helm of the new branch.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Eugene, OR
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

Another vote for Spanish Magic. www.oaxacaspanishmagic.com

It is oriented towards adults, not young students. I have been to two other schools in Oaxaca and not only did I learn the most here and thoroughly enjoy the teachers, I found Flor and Miguel, the owners/administrators to be very accommodating. After the first week I felt that I was part of a community.

San Francisco
3 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

Another good one is Espanol Interactivo. I spent two weeks there in 2000, then returned in 2006 for three months. I've also stopped by a couple of times in the last few years, and they're still small, still extremely kind, and still professional. They do a good job of matching teachers with students, paying close attention to what the student needs.

By the way, I just noticed the date of the original posting here. It was my 61st birthday.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

My kids and I attended Becari for two weeks, as did one of my friends for 6 weeks, and we all loved it. Very nice people, well-trained teachers, structured curriculum with lots of interesting side classes and trips to take advantage of, if you want to. They can also set you up with a host family to enhance your stay in this lovely city.

oaxaca, oaxaca
Level Contributor
98 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

I would recommend Ollin

http://www.ollinoaxaca.org.mx/

The Owner, Omar, is terrific. I've never heard anything but rave reviews and many of the people that have used him are 60 or more. You won't be disappointed.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

We (two Canadian 60 year old women) attended Becari school on Quintana Roo in February for 2 weeks. The owner, Martha, was incredible, and even helped me find a good doctor when I was ill. She bends over backwards to help you find anything necessary. We had 2 teachers, one for grammar and one for conversation. Manuel is a born teacher and explains grammar so well, understands your needs and matches his lessons to your level. Andrea too helped us enormously, by walking us to markets and through neighborhoods so we saw things we would never have seen on our own. Marta ensured that we were well cared for. It's a great school

Carolyn

San Leandro...
Level Contributor
1 post
55 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

I second your experience at Oaxaca Spanish Magic. My husband and I are 50+ and had a great time. The school was wonderful and Flor made me feel at home. (I loved her bi lingual "movie night" that included popcorn and mezcal.) Our teacher, Yesenia, was very patient with each of us in class. She taught gently with a wonderful sense of humor. We also arranged for a homestay through Flor. We could not ask for a better expereince.

Edited: 7:06 pm, June 10, 2012
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

I have attended a variety of Spanish language schools in Oaxaca over the last nine years. I've returned again and again to Oaxaca Spanish Magic. If I were to live equidistant from OSM or Ollin Tlahtoalli I'd choose Omar's Ollin Tlahtoalli. Also well received and well taught at the Becari on Quintana Roo. Solexico on Abasolo is also good but seems to be more European student oriented; they have, in the past, been able to arrange Oaxaca and Puerto Vallarta exchange. Had great teachers at the Instituto but did not like the authoritarian and unfriendly administrative staff (top down aloofness) while at the school (saw several employees out and about the city and found them to be open and friendly...). Most places no longer include the workshops, etc. of years past but will arrange if enough demand. Which ever you choose -- Have fun!

Save Reply
19. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

My initial plan after reading all the rave reviews about Oaxaca's Amigos del Sol spanish school was to attend there. However, a friend who winters in Oaxaca encouraged me to find a school closer to the center of town. After looking at Ollin's website, I was excited about attending their school. It sounded unique in that it looked like they had a comprehensive program that combined classroom time with personal interaction with the people of Oaxaca. Not so.

In fact, not only was it not true, but the quality of the 2 teachers I had was extremely disappointing. After spending 6 hrs there, I felt ripped off by the money I spent and time that I wasted. I'm sure the instructors I had were extremely intelligent, they just didn't possess the skills to be language instructors. Maybe this is because the owner/director of Ollin is actually in Canada working on his PhD.

After that experience I called Rogelio who is the owner/director of Amigos del Sol. He is truly a gifted teacher with many years of experience, and whose teachers are also extremely talented. Whereas with Ollin, I didn't ever feel the "warm & fuzzies", with Amigos it was immediate regardless of which instructor I worked with ( depending on whether I was doing groups or privates). Even though Amigos is just a few minutes outside the El Centro part of town, Rogelio and the other instructors pick you up and drop you off back in El Centro.

I've been to many Spanish schools in my almost 60 years, but without question Amigos is the best. I just wish I had started my classes there as I originally planned.

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Oaxaca Language schools

Wow, GeorgeBajaGirl, how wonderful and fortuitous that your first post and review happens to be about a language school. Plus you also are recommending one too! How about that!