We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus to Monte Alban

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
117 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
bus to Monte Alban

I see that the bus service originates at the Hotel Rivera on Mina, but I can't find any info on schedules.

Does anybody know the schedule? Do you have to purchase tickets in advance? Also, I'm on a tight schedule and don't want to be stuck on the hill all day. Is the service frequent? Thanks in advance for any knowledge on the topic.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus to Monte Alban

The bus runs every 1/2 hour or so starting at 8:30 or 9 AM. During holidays probably best to book a day or so before. The last return is aroud 4PM I believe. We have used that group for all of our tours. Enjoy!

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus to Monte Alban

I would not be concerned about booking in advance. In seven years of dropping off guests at the depot, no one has ever had to wait for a subsequent bus. But as huatulcopedro indicates, buses, especially during high season, run on the half hour so your worst case scenario is having to wait 30 - 40 minutes. Of course if you are concerned, and you have the time and inclination to go and reserve in advance, then by all means. Or have your hotel try do so on your behalf.

I'm not sure what you mean about being stuck on the hill all day (buses don't tend to break down en route, but if it happens others come by frequently; and if you mean stuck at Monte Albán, there are always vehicles descending the ruin, frequently), but if you have a tight schedule, then perhaps a taxi is the best way to get up to Monte Albán. You can even negotiate a rate for the cabbie to wait for you and return you to downtown or to wherever you want to go from there.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Edited: 4:45 pm, June 11, 2011
3. Re: bus to Monte Alban

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, October 03, 2012