We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help on 2 day itinerary in Oaxaca

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Oaxaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Redwood City...
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need help on 2 day itinerary in Oaxaca

Hi, we'll arrive in Oaxaca around noon on 6/3 Friday and our flight leave around 4:45pm 6/5 Sunday. I know it's not a lot of time and after I've read about places to go and things to see, now I'm end up with a big list, so I really need some advice here. So here is what I got:

1. tule, teotitlan, dainzu, tlacolula,mitla, yagul

2. san bartolo

3. Monte Alban

4. City center: Zocalo/Santo Domingo Church/Alameda etc

How much time will it take at each sight?

Is it possible to see everything on this list ? If it's impossible to do everything on the list, which ones should we skip?

If it's possible to see everything on the list, what's the best way to arrange our itinerary? I'm thinking about covering city center the day we arrive, then the second day will be one full day for those small towns ruins in the valley and the last day (a bit more than half day) for Monte Alban and San Bartolo. Will that work? For the day trip to the valley, should we find a private driver and how much does it usually cost?

Anything else that I missed on this list?

Sorry about so many questions, but I really appreciate your comments and inputs here. Thanks.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help on 2 day itinerary in Oaxaca

A while ago I wrote an article outlining how do to exactly what you have planned, albeit my itinerary began a bit earlier on Friday, and ended a bit later on Sunday. You can get most of it in, with careful planning. The article was recently updated at the request of the Secretary of Tourism for Oaxaca, because they might want to use it as well. Feel free send me your email and I'll send you the article as an attachment. Email me at oaxacadream@hotmail.com.

By the way, three ruins in one day is a bit too much, especially if you do that day on Sunday so you can take in the Tlacolula market, a must. However, if the market is not a priority, then yes, it's possible to do all those ruins, but it will take up the lion's share of the day unless you rush through them. Consider a Mitla guide (Gilberto), and do that ruin first, before the sun & heat and the crowds, and he can explain the other two in context. But do ask me for my routing.

I can also help you to organize the days a bit better to make it easier for you, but not on this forum since it would take up too much space and not be particularly helpful to a general audience.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
157 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help on 2 day itinerary in Oaxaca

Just read that the annual teachers strike just started - what is the situation? thanks

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help on 2 day itinerary in Oaxaca

The zócalo and most of the streets leading out from the zócalo (I visited the streets north of the square today, anticipating the odd query and just to keep myself up to date), have throngs of teachers sitting in the open, under large tarps, discussing, knitting, standing about, reading, and basically making a pain of themselves for the rest of Oaxaca. They are essentially an inconvenience for people wanting to walk around downtown .... nothing more, nothing less.

Of course there are other viewpoints, especially for visiting teachers, for the far left, for the far right, etc. The disappointment is that our new governor apparently has not yet figured out how to deal with the teachers' union; but time will tell. I've had confidence in his ability since I first met him about two years ago, and that sentiment remains.

At least it's all peaceful, and to an extent colorful (again another viewpoint). But as usual, it's the students who get forgotten in all this, nothwithstanding that a teacher was quoted a day or two ago stating that the education of the children will not be adversely affected. Ya right.

When the downtown core is being occupied, it makes for great days to get out of the city and visit the sights in the central valleys. In seven years as a permanent resident, I haven't missed a beat in terms of being able to negotiate around any and all blockades, to get out of the city to tour the sights in the hinterland.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

4. Re: Need help on 2 day itinerary in Oaxaca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:32 am, May 24, 2012