We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recents Homicides at Santo Domingo Church

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Berkeley
Level Contributor
41 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Recents Homicides at Santo Domingo Church

I read about 2 political activists being shot at the Church. I have rented a casita for Jan/Feb/March and bought my airline tickets. Should I be giving my trip a second thought? I remember 2006--not a good year for tourism in Oaxaca. What do you expect for early 2011? I am so sorry Oaxaquenas have to go through this. It's a great town with wonderful people.

Oaxaca
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Recents Homicides at Santo Domingo Church

Chowbeller: "The police in Oaxaca ARE the cartel and if you deny this then you are naive. The police are the ones committing whatever crimes they wish and that leaves visitors and locals alike in a very vulnerable position."

Okay, so it's your opinion that I'm naive. It is a fact that you lied. Didn't you used to be GoMexico?

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Recents Homicides at Santo Domingo Church

jptk, chowbeller and readers more generally: If indeed the latter is GoMexico reconstituted (both hail from Chicago), then readers ought to look at the history of GoMexico and his anit - Oaxaca comments dating back to 2006 and 2007, and perhaps the odd commentary more recently viz. restaurants and the like.

My reply to his / her inflammatory remarks are contained on a similar thread to this, posted last night (early morning today in some time zones I suppose).

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

chicago,illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Recents Homicides at Santo Domingo Church

I would probably feel the same way you feel had I not experienced these things in those eight days. I am the first to smirk at people who believe the things they read in the press. I have (I'm ashamed to say) felt some invisible umbrella of protection by being an American traveling abroad in developing countries. My 8 days in Oaxaca slapped me in the face with a dose of reality. I NEVER expected to feel this way in Oaxaca of all places. We weren't in Pakistan or Afghanistan,after all. My time there was absolutely wonderful in so many ways . Each incident,if they stood alone, would have been somewhat disturbing but I would have taken it in stride. The fact that all of these happened left us feeling very vulnerable. It's not my concern that you, living in Oaxaca with some agenda, believe me or not. This is a travel forum. I have no agenda. You cannot deny that the shootings took place at 1:20 in the afternoon during festivities on a crowded corner.....with 2 automatic weapons. We chose not to report the molestation of the young woman until we were all safely at home since the molesters were policemen; however, the incident has been reported to the State Dept., the Mexican Embassy and the appropriate agencies in Canada (the young woman is Canadian). I find it difficult to believe that you have never seen the police raid innocent people. Your argument may be that the man at the taco stand was not an innocent but you MUST know that this is probably not the case. You MUST know the reality of who and what holds the power in Mexico these days. Go to San Antonino, Xoxo,...heavily armed young men (police) drinking mezcal and beer? Yes. I am simply reporting what we experienced because , I assume, travelers want to know the reality.

chicago,illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Recents Homicides at Santo Domingo Church

Alvin...why don't you read all of my posts and reviews? Everything I've ever said on Tripadvisor is overwhelmingly positive. This time;however, it deals with people's personal safety. I have no idea what you're talking about...GoMexico??? I've been a member here since 2008. I understand why you and your fellow expats are attacking the messenger. Oaxaca is a beautiful place with the warmest people and rich traditions. I really loved it there. I wish these things hadn't happened. I understand why you have chosen to live there. I adore the people of Mexico. I have spoken to my Mexican friends here in Chicago about the current situation all over Mexico and they are just sick about it. They know the truth. I don't know what the answer for change could possible be. If I had made my life in Oaxaca I would feel like you do. I understand your strong feelings and I understand why you attack me.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Recents Homicides at Santo Domingo Church

chowbeller - I will leave the Oaxaca comments to be dealt with by the people who know Oaxaca well (I do not) but your insistence that your 8 day experience tells you exactly what Mexico is like is ridiculous. If you had 8 days of sun and happiness would you suggest that all Mexico is paradise and that everything is just fine?? I don't think so. If your stories are true you were very unlucky but I doubt it representative of Oaxaca and certainly not where I live in Queretaro (ranked 32 out of 32 for corruption) where the police are as decent as in any country.

Oaxaca
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Recents Homicides at Santo Domingo Church

You sound like a politician. Your story makes no sense. It is implausible in the extreme. You saw things in a short period of time involving the police that people who have lived here for years, and natives, have never seen. You see taco stands that don't exist. You see police officers on the scene of a murder robbing tourists at gunpoint and drinking on the corners. Baloney. It isn't true. Nothing you said makes sense. I believe nothing you said.

Edited: 5:37 pm, November 10, 2010
Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Recents Homicides at Santo Domingo Church

Homicides and accidents happens anywhere and you should notice that these homicides were related to some local politics related problems; they were not targeted to tourists.

O.J. Simpson murdered his wife in Brentwood and that didn't make that place unsafe, former "Survivor" producer Bruce Beresford-Redman did the same to his wife in cancun, that didn't make cancun unsafe either

I was advised not to travel to South Africa for the same reason but I was sure that if I use common sense to protect myself nothing would happen to me.

I had a great experience on my trip and I used public transportation. I read articles and listen to people but people who actually had traveled to pleces I'm heading.

Use common sense to make your mind.

Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Recents Homicides at Santo Domingo Church

*clears throat* Since this thread has floated back to the top, would anyone like to see the pictures I took Tuesday of Sto. Domingo?

The only drama is that of acres of gilding and baroque ornamentation ~ anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

Oh, there's a spoonful of history, too.

Olmsted Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
462 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Recents Homicides at Santo Domingo Church

Bixaorellana...

Thanks for the link! Your photos of Santo Domingo are spectacular!

20. Re: Recents Homicides at Santo Domingo Church

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 13, 2011