We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Oaxaca to Ixtapa

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Atlanta, USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Oaxaca to Ixtapa

How are the roads from Oaxaca to Ixtapa? How long does the drive take? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Oaxaca to Ixtapa

16+ hours travel time, I'm estimating. Roads are a "challenge" through the Oaxaca mountains, and "interesting" along Hwy. 200 to Ixtapa. Don't make the trip driving yourself.

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Oaxaca to Ixtapa

it is a long and tough drive. we were going to do thi over new years since we are spending christmas in oaxaca and have aplace to stay in ixtapa, but we decided against it. you pretty much need to drive to mexico city and then take it from there to ixtapa in order to take the good roads, otherwise it might be shorter but it is not worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Atlanta, USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Oaxaca to Ixtapa

thanks!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Oaxaca to Ixtapa

Have you already made the trip? I once drove (Ok, I was the passanger most of the way) from Huajuapan de Leon, Oaxaca to Ixtapa. Hwy 15, I believe it is, takes you out to the coast and then you head north on Hwy 200. I wouldn't trade the experience for the world -- the views were breathtaking in the mountains. But yes, you want to be with a good, sane driver. My friend and I actually drove from Napa, California to Oaxaca and back. Happy to share from my experience if you have any questions. Best . . .

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Guanajuato, Mexico
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico