We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido - drive or bus?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido - drive or bus?

We need to get to P.E. and back to Oaxaca- can't afford to fly- thinking of either renting a car in OAX or taking the bus.. would appreciate feedback from anyone who has done either. Gracias!!

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
168 reviews
1. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido - drive or bus?

I've done it all, at least driving, and flight, and guests and my daughter have done the van service. The van service on Arista seems to get the highest cudos. Our daughter used a place on Galeana, and then begged for a credit card number to fly home to Oaxaca. This is rainy season, and driving could be quite difficult, delayed because of landslides, etc. My suggestion is to not rent a car, because then you're stuck in Puerto with it and may not be able to return it there, and have to drive back. You may not want to. Therefore, try a van, the bus (first class from the bus station) or van one way and fly back to Oaxaca if the drive was too difficult. Once you're on the coast there's no need for a car, since cabs are very cheap, everything is in walking distance in terms of the most popular beaches and restaurants, etc. For the sights such as roca blanca, the lagoon trips, etc, and other places out of town, taxis are pretty inexpensive as well. DO the math. If you rent for say $60 a day it's probably just as reasonable to do the van one way and fly back, of course depending on how many in your party. I won't let our daughter take the truck to the coast this summer because of the rains! Feel free to email me at oaxacadream@hotmail.com for my article about the drive from Puerto to Oaxaca, and return trip using the other highway.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

minneesota
Level Contributor
226 posts
100 reviews
2. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido - drive or bus?

We took a van to the coast and flew back. Next time we will definitely fly. The van is 7 hours of stomach twisting mountain roads. No exaggeration. Take anti nausea and bring a plastic bag so you don't gross out your neighbors on the van. The flight is about 30-35 minutes and goes through the mountains. Either way the views are fabulous.

Kate

California
3 posts
3. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido - drive or bus?

How much is it to take the van for a large group from Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido? I'd prefer to book the one way trip and not drive. Does anyone know when the road will be finished between the two cities? Also, are there more than one van companies? Does anyone have the names or websites to these places? Thanks so much

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
168 reviews
4. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido - drive or bus?

I'm not aware of any websites for the van services. There are several van companies, most on Galeana, and one on one of the cross streets, perhaps Hidalgo or Las Casas, just west of Galeana. There's another on La Noria, and another on Arista. Best is to wait until you're here, and then go by and make special arrangements for your group. It should be easy to do. Price per person is very reasonable, although I don't recall specifically. Contacting them by phone really won't help much either. Schedules change depending on the season and level of tourism, which is hard to predict. Some advertise leaving several times a day, but if there aren't enough people signed up, they just won't go. So with a group there shouldn't be any difficulty. The one on Arista seems to be the most reliable...or maybe it's just chance that when our daughter has used it, and people staying with us as well, there haven't been any delays.

Don't count on either of the highways being completed any time soon. Hwy 175 is supposed to be completed (widened) in 2010. The other route, leading towards Huatulco, a brand new road, was supposed to be finished last year (that's what I was told in 2005), but last year one of the engineers working on it told me in four more years!

California
3 posts
5. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido - drive or bus?

Thanks so much for the response!! I'm a teacher and I was thinking about taking about 15 students and chaperones to do some community service projects in Mexico. We won't be arriving until summer of 2010 so maybe just maybe the road will be completed by then hmmmmm..... Again thanks so much for the information.

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
168 reviews
6. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido - drive or bus?

CaliforniaRob: Once the plans crystalize, and you're about ready to commit to the trip and are dealing with school board bureaucracy, feel free to email me at oaxacadream@hotmail.com, and I'll be able to give you some candid advice that perhaps I wouldn't put on the forum.

I wouldn't let the highway completion put a damper on the trip. All you have to do is get the most up-to-date road and progress reports, and you can then use that to decide which highway to take. I know the drill, since our daughter has been on those types of school programs to Hispanic countries.

7. Re: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido - drive or bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 09, 2010