We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca safety?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Baltimore
1 post
Overnight bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca safety?

I'm spending next week in Mexico and I want to minimize my daytime travel time to maximize time on the ground, however I'm concerned about the safety of taking an overnight bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca. I hear mixed stories about the safety of overnight buses, so if anyone has an opinion it would be much appreciated.

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
158 reviews
1. Re: Overnight bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca safety?

The overnight bus from Mexico City (DF) to Oaxaca is very different from the overnight experiences one encounters using other classes of buses on other types of highways. You should encounter no problems at all with safety. The buses are first class and usually show a movie or two, and the highway is all tollroad, in great condition. My only reservation would be that going at night you'll miss some wonderful scenery and landscapes, especially from Puebla to Oaxaca. The safety issues you probably heard about most likely refer to the buses going from DF or Oaxaca along secondary highways, and in the case of Oaxaca, the highways going from Oaxaca to the coast. We drive along the DF - Oaxaca tollroad to Puebla and sometimes to DF, about every 3 months, and enjoy the drive immensely. Have a great trip. Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

San Francisco
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Overnight bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca safety?

While the scenery between DF and Oaxaca on the bus is pretty good, it pales compared to that we saw when we drove into the mountains on 175 from the coast til a good distance beyond the Pluma Hidalgo cutoff, and, later, from Oaxaca City to Valle Nacional. Also on 175.

Those roads are truly beautiful, even spectacular in places.

My point is this: if you only have a short time, and doing a red-eye won't wear you out for the next day (as it would me), I would prefer your plan for myself.

Or, if you can spring for the $$$, take a plane. About an hour flight time.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
3. Re: Overnight bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca safety?

I've ridden on busses in Mexico (including trips to/from Oaxaca) for many years now and for a period I'd travel overnight, until it dawned on me that instead of saving me time it was costing me energy, and time - because I'd get to my destination not rested and would need 1/2 day to recuperate.

Overnight travel on busses is generally safe - in terms of criminal activity. The only problems you hear from time-to-time relates to accidents, and those reports are relatively few in comparison to the large number of busses on the Mexican highways.

Busses are typically very cold at night, so bring a light jacket, blanket or good sweater. Drivers sometimes play music loudly, which can interfere with sleep. Children are sometimes present and they, or their parents, will cry, talk, snore or otherwise make distracting noises. And you sometimes get bumped around on the bus as it travels the highway.

To some travelers, these distractions are insignificant, but to others, such as myself, they're 'deal breakers.'

If you haven't traveled that route before you will miss-out on the scenery and the "scenery" is one of the joys of riding busses, IMO.

However, should you choose to travel overnight by bus I recommend one of the luxury bus services - such as UNO (operated by bus company ADO) - because it'll be the most comfortable and probably least distracting (but will be the more expensive choice).

My overall recommendation: travel during the day.

----------------

My photos of Mexico: http://tinyurl.com/7tt2s

Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Overnight bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca safety?

The problems gomexico refers to are largely on second-class buses. I've travelled a lot in Mexico with ADO, Estrella Roja and other first-class bus companies and have not met with any of these on anything but second-class buses that weren't on the toll road. I'm a single woman, travelling alone, and for me, the main worry, night or day, is getting a seatmate who takes up more than his/her share of the seating, but the first class buses in Mexico have considerably more space than anything used in the US, so that's not generally a problem. Enjoy Oaxaca!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
5. Re: Overnight bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca safety?

So that there's no confusion about what I wrote - the words speak for themselves and my comments were and are meant to reflect my travel at night (or day) on first-class busses.

6. Re: Overnight bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca safety?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, September 22, 2009