We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gay couple with child traveling in Oaxaca?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
NY
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
gay couple with child traveling in Oaxaca?

We are a lesbian couple with a 15-year-old son and we would like to spend a week in Oaxaca in June. Any suggestions about places to stay that will be accepting and comfortable for us?

washington state
Level Contributor
547 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gay couple with child traveling in Oaxaca?

The only way to know for sure is to just ask the establishment you are interested in the question just as you asked here. The worse that can happen is that they will say no, we are not comfortable. Based on past experience, I think you will find it is a non-issue with most places.

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gay couple with child traveling in Oaxaca?

I wouldn't think you would have any difficulty with any of the bed and breakfasts or hotels with extremely positive ratings on tripadvisor. Go through the traveler reviews and try to get a sense. I'm not aware of any establishments that are gay-owned here in Oaxaca, but there is certainly a gay population, a number of whom are expats. You could go to www.gayguide.net and search Oaxaca as one option. Because I am in the hospitality industry I can't make specific recommendations to you according to tripadvisor policy. However, common sense to me dictates that one approach would be to select one of the larger hotels where anonymity would be assured, and the other would be to go the opposite route. That is , inquire of a small, quaint place which might gather from the nature of your inquiry what your orientation is. Then you could try to gauge the response. Good luck and enjoy your vacation. Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Oaxaca
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: gay couple with child traveling in Oaxaca?

One of the many surprises I had when I moved to Mexico was the tolerance of people in my city. I would not expect you to have any problems. A lot of the foreign men living here are gay and in casual conversations with them they have not related any problems related simply to their being gay. I doubt you will encounter any problems.

Some years ago there was a man running tours for gays to Oaxaca, called Mexi-Gay, I think, and I asked him once if they had problems and he just laughed and shook his head.

http://76593.forums.motigo.com/

If you google "Oaxaca+Gay" you'll get a lot of information including the gay forum cited above.

oaxaca
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: gay couple with child traveling in Oaxaca?

Hi, I am staying at casa de don pablo hostel, this place is very open minded about gay and lesbians, i met two girls that were girlfriends , they asked about gay places in the city, and Angel at the front desk gave them information about it. But i dont know if youre interested in a youth hostel, you know shared bathrooms, very clean by the way.

they have private rooms, i heard one of them have three beds.

you can check their web site www.casadedonpablo.com, maybe you can see the types of rooms.

Oaxaca is very intersting about gays, in the istmus, gays are very important in zapotec culture, they are respected and the families are happy for having one gay (muxhe), you can see in the streets in cities in istmus (6 hours from oaxaca) boys wearing typical dresses, and some are teachers and dress like this teaching children. it is very intersting!

in youtube you can see a video about them, searh for muxes or muxhes.

i hope this help you

5. Re: gay couple with child traveling in Oaxaca?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, September 15, 2009