We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zocalo construction?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
ESH
slc
1 post
Save Topic
Zocalo construction?

Our first trip to Oaxaca will be at end of April. Is the Zocalo under reconstruction now (end of April - 1st week in May), and if so how significant is this for toursim? Is it totally closed?

Thanks for any info!

ESH

Luis Ramirez Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Journeys Beyond the Surface - Oaxaca
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Travel to Oaxaca Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zocalo construction?

From reports I've read, there is considerable construction underway in the Oaxaca Zocalo - work that will continue into the Summer months.

Here is a link to a discussion of the issue, from which you might learn more:

planeta.com/ecotravel/…oaxacacityzocalo.html

I don't know how extensive the work is, but it looks to encompass a large area of the Zocalo - which, I think, will diminish the enjoyment of the area for tourists.

I'm not a big fan of the Zocalo area, because it's so overrun with tourists. Rather, I enjoy the Mercado Central (Central de Abastos) as a place to shop, eat, people-watch, etc. Mercado 20 de Noviembre is also a good place to visit (it's only a two block walk from the Zocalo).

The archeological zones of Monte Alban and Mitla, and Central Valley weekly markets, will all be functioning normally during your visit - so there's still lots of things to see/do while there.

Enjoy the visit to Oaxaca!

Spain
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Zocalo construction?

Hi, I've just been to Oaxaca and the Zocalo is actually a mess! I was disappointed when I first saw it but then it was not a big deal, the city is so wonderful, with so many things to see and do, and also the Zocalo does retain some strange charm, with those beautiful (but menaced) trees and the kiosk in the middle. I agree completely about the markets, you shouldn't miss them!

Dublin
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zocalo construction?

Just here in Oaxaca at the moment and the like it was said the square is a mess. Out spanish teacher tells us the work is going to take a month and a half, but as they are digging up the whole square by hand to repave it (for safety) i think it might be a bit more than that.

I was disappointed as well - but such is life there is lots more out there to see and do.

Treacle

Chandler, Arizona
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Zocalo construction?

Visit the plaza they call El LLano. It is only a short walk and all Oaxacans. A little run down, but a nice park. Also, there is Marco Polo restaurant (formerly Jorge's Mariscos), again almost all Mexican patrons and GREAT seafood. The fish is done in an outside wood-fired oven. You sit outside,too. Open for the afternoon meal only. Wonderful place.

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zocalo construction?

Hola,

The following is a link to a slide show that shows the more or less completed Zócalo --

planeta.com/ecotravel/…oaxacacityzocalo.html

You may want to scroll down the commentary before you start the slide show for an opinion as to its present state.

Fortunately, many of the trees were spared and additional "renovation" has been postponed. Two themes came out in posts on the web. First, it was disturbing to many that the work started without "proper notice or input" to and by most people. Second, that the funds spent on the project would have been better spent on addressing widespread problems like the city's fragile and insufficient water distribution system.

As a result, grass roots organizations by local people have been organized and hopefully will monitor future renovations and/or shape the direction of future change.