We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel recommendation question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
hotel recommendation question

we are looking at spending a week in Oaxaca in February. We have found that there is a particular type of hotel that really suits us and wondering if anyone has discovered a hotel in Oaxaca that is:

small

has outdoor space , with the courtyard type style with the rooms overlooking outdoor space

includes breakfast, ideally with outdoor seating

balcony or patio if ground floor

close to main square - within walking distance

some English would be great for help with taxis, tours etc

pool would be nice but not a deal breaker

reasonable budget, under $100 C$ / 1500 Mex

friendly staff

quiet

does not need to be fancy, in fact prefer it was not

We really love Villa Blanca in Huatulco if anyone knows that hotel to give you an idea .

We're in our sixties, not party people but enjoy a lively atmosphere.

thanks in advance for your suggestions.

8 replies to this topic
San Marcos, Texas
Level Contributor
564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel recommendation question

I also love the Villablanca in Huatulco. We love the Hotel Aitana in Oaxaca City. includes breakfast has a wonderful roof top overlook with beautiful plants maybe 6 or so blocks to the Zocalo. Typically we pay 50-75 USD per night.

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel recommendation question

Villa Blanca is where we always stay in Huatulco. For Oaxaca, with all that you want, including a pool, consider Casa Ollin or Casa de la Tia Tere, although the latter's breakfast is not as extensive as the former. Judith at Casa Ollin has excellent English, and Rocio at Tia Tere has enough English for your needs as described. The only issue with Aitana, is that it is on a major street and can have a fair bit of noise, but I do not know about the location of the rooms relative to the street noise. I know of another place on the same street and the only issue has been the noise of the buses, etc. By the way, I know Orillia extremely well, having gone up there regularly for over 60 years.

Alvin Starkman - Mezcal Educational Excursion of Oaxaca.

Edited: 7:57 pm, October 14, 2017
Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel recommendation question

both look like what we are looking for. My husband is a fan of a good breakfast so the Casa Ollin looks like it would be perfect. We're in the planning stages so it's at the top of the list for sure.

thank you so much for taking the time to answer.

I am curious as to what would bring you to Orillia. We're not exactly a hot spot for travelers from other countries.

We have been to Mexico a few times now and loved Huatulco. This year we are meeting people in Mexico City for part of the time and wanted to try something different so are looking at Oaxaca. I hear it's a wonderful city with lots to do there and in the surrounding area.

I will do my research on TA and other sites etc but if you have tips to help out you have time to share I would certainly be appreciative.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel recommendation question

This looks like a great option. Love the roof top feature. This will be our first trip to Oaxaca and we're just starting our homework. thanks so much for the recommendation.

oaxaca, oaxaca
Level Contributor
141 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel recommendation question

http://lasbugambilias.com/

beautiful place, english speakers, great breakfast, great location.

6. Re: hotel recommendation question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 15, 2017

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,208 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel recommendation question

Your description of what you're looking for sounded just like La Betulia. The owners are foodies, English speakers, serve excellent coffee at breakfast, and can help you organize any excursions. It's located down an alley and is very quiet. There are some wonderful restaurants within walking distance. My friend and I felt very safe walking at night back to the hotel.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel recommendation question

thanks for that. will definitely check it out.

Reply to: hotel recommendation question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted