We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mezcal Tour

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Mezcal Tour

Does anyone know of a Palenque that does them at an affordable price and will not consume my entire day? I will be visiting be staying in Oaxaca from Nov 4 - Nov 12. If anyone can point me in the right direction of a reputable/qualitative Paleque I would be very much grateful.

10 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mezcal Tour

Alvin should be responding soon m. He is very knowledgeable and he runs mescal Tours.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Mezcal Tour

I would recommend going to see Mezcal Real Minero in Santa Catarina Minas. They distill in claypots, have an incredible sustainable agave cultivation program in place and make great mezcal. It's only about 50 minutes from Oaxaca City.

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mezcal Tour

You can take a colectivo or taxi to Santiago Matatlán where there are over 100 different palenques where you can sample for free, get a tour (assuming you understand some Spanish because not all places have someone who speaks English there all the time), and buy for very reasonable prices if you are inclined. If you do not buy, I would be inclined to leave a gratuity. Those who distill in clay tend to charge a fair bit of money for their products relative to in copper, because of the higher labour involved. Almost everyone in Matatlán distills in copper, If you go to just a single palenque the likelihood of seeing most stages of production is fairly low, unless it is a place designed for tourists, but by going to several in for example Matatlán you have a reasonable probability of seeing it all, but it does take time. You can visit Mezcal del Amigo (Enrique Jiménez), Rey Zapoteco, Mezcal La Curva, in that order through the town the first as you enter. But there are many, many from which to choose not only on the main drag. Alternatively, someone recently posted that Mezcal Don Agave on the highway close to the rug village Teotitlán del Valle does a very good extensive tour, and that reply was in response I think to a question similar to yours, that is someone not wanting to spend a lot of time. You can't miss it, on the right side of the highway en route to Tlacolula, Mitla and Matatlán, I think right at the entrance to Teotitlán de Valle. My only concern about some of these places is pressure to buy by some of the people who do the tours, not suggesting this is the case with any of the foregoing, though. An idea might be to hire a taxi or driver for the day and have him take you to the tree, the rug village, Mitla, etc, and stop at one of the places such as Don Agave along the side of the highway ..... but it will not lead to an in depth education, but might be just what you want. Good luck, and enjoy.

Alvin Starkman - Mezcal Educational Excursions of Oaxaca

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mezcal Tour

We stopped at Don Agave on our way to Mitla, the tour or mezcal making was free and so were the 10 samples you just have to tip. We also ate there and the food was great.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mezcal Tour

Thank you all for the information, it was very useful. I think the Palenque or Distillery I most want to visit is Los Danzantes so I'll be trying to reach out to them. Does anyone know if UBER is available in Oaxaca?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
320 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mezcal Tour

Alvin,

Do you still do mezcal tours? I am visiting in March and my wife and I both love mezcal. We were looking for a more experienced mezcal tour and everything I have seen so far points to you being the most experienced mezcal guide in Oaxaca. When the time comes, we would be looking for a full day, or maybe two, of exploring mezcal, craft beer, and food, in the area.

Also, do you still run a B&B?

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mezcal Tour

Re # 6: It is more appropriate to deal with this inquiry in a private message so I will send you one.

Alvin Starkman - Mezcal Educational Excursions of Oaxaca

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mezcal Tour

we r in town & would like to go on a mezcal tour in the next couple of days. R U available ? or can u recommend thank you

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mezcal Tour

Send me a private message right away.

Save Reply
10. Re: Mezcal Tour

Hi.

4 of us are looking to do a mescal tour with English guide. We only have tomorrow preferably early as possible. Are we able to book?

Reply to: Mezcal Tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted