We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hierve el Agua question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Hierve el Agua question

So my husband and want to explore this are but most tours are tied to visiting the mezcal factory and rug villiage and we don’t want to be driven to places just to buy things. We have been to many other parts of Mexico and we’d rather soend the day hiking or doing something not so touristy. It seems like all the buses and even small tourist guides do this same route with maybe Tule thrown in there. Any better suggestions? I’d rather not just be a sheep and follow all the crowds. Zapotrek looks like they have an amazing one day trecknbut it is extremely expensive at $150 us per person....

Anyone know of a compromise?

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Hierve el Agua question

Sure, rent a car and do & go anywhere you want .........

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
158 reviews
2. Re: Hierve el Agua question

Consider hiring a driver who has a solid reputation and he will take you anywhere you want. There are great places en route to Hierve el Agua such as yes the tree and yes the rug village where there are weavers who do not exert any pressure to buy, and same regarding small mezcal palenquers on the secondary highway this side of San Lorenzo Albarradas; also the ruin at Mitla, the church at Tlacochahuaya, if Sunday the Tlacolula market, behind that town the terra cotta pottery village of San Marcos Tlapazola, the pictographs at Xaagá, etc. Or, a tour guide which costs more. Your lodging should be able to make recommendations for a driver or a guide. No way that a good driver or guide should be calling the shots. You call the shots and he/she should comply; just don't be swayed. Do your reading first, and then decide and stick to your guns.

Alvin Starkman - Mezcal Educational Excursions of Oaxaca

Edited: 11:34 pm, September 29, 2017
Level Contributor
3 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: Hierve el Agua question

My friend and I had the same issue--we didn't want to be tied to a tour, just wanted transport to various places. We asked at the tourist information booth in the Zocalo and they were extremely helpful. They directed us to another tourist information office a couple blocks away where they spoke better English and were able to tell us exactly where we needed to go and what buses to take to get to Mitla/Hieve el Agua as well as different craft villages.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Hierve el Agua question

Oh that sounds perfect! We planned on just taking the bus to Mont Alban. You don’t by chance remember any details of catching the bus by chance? We will check this option out for sure. Thank you

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
158 reviews
5. Re: Hierve el Agua question

For Monte Albán, there is a dedicated bus line that leaves on the hour or half hour, for extremely inexpensive, from Calle Mina 508, the ticked office just through the entrance of Hotel Rivera del Ángel at that address. Don't ask the price please because it increases periodically, perhaps now about 75 pesos return. You can wander the ruin on your own or get a guide once up there.

Alvin Starkman - Mezcal Educational Excursions of Oaxaca

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Hierve el Agua question

Thank you! I knew about the bus to Monte Albán but your details are super helpful so again thank you. But I thought for El Hierve el Agua you could only take a bus part way and then you would have to take a colectivo. The only thing about doing it that way that was worring me was getting back. Last time when we were in Mexico City we got a ride out to Desierto de los Leones to see the monastery and hike but then couldn’t get a taxi or ride back. It was thanks to the kindness of some locals that helped us we got to a bus. Anyway just trying to understand all my options for getting there besides the standard tour route. Love how locals and others share how they did/do it. Thanks!

Level Contributor
3 posts
85 reviews
7. Re: Hierve el Agua question

We took the bus to Mitla (because we wanted to see Mitla) and then a collectivo to Hierve el Agua. We had to wait around for about an hour for the collectivo driver to gather enough people before we could leave. This was a bit of a drag, but understandable since the drive is about an hour and over really bumpy road. It's a stunning drive though. I liked it as much as walking around Hierve El Agua. Coming back, there's a covered seating area near the food stands where you can wait for the collectivo back to Mitla. I think our driver said the last one left at 6pm. They dropped us off in a different part of town so we had to make our way to the ruins and then back to the bus stop afterwards to get the bus back to Oaxaca.

To get to Mitla, we had to first catch a bus to the baseball stadium. We walked to Calle de Manuel Sabino Crespo, stood under a blue bus sign and waited for a bus marked 'Corteles'? Near the baseball stadium, there's a VW dealership where you can catch a bus to Mitla (there are tons of taxis milling about too). The guide books said to go to the second class bus station, but that was a really far walk from our hotel, whereas this way was really easy. There was a lot of transit time but for us it was part of the fun.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Hierve el Agua question

Part if the adventure!!! Thanks :-)

9. Re: Hierve el Agua question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 16, 2018